Dying X-fi prelude

DeAdLy_MaNgO

So I'm pretty sure my auzentech is dying... :angry2: Sound is at 100 and it sounds like it's at 20 sound is crackly too. As some of you know the prelude comes with the option to replace the opamps, I just wanted to get a general consensus of whether or not I should try and replace the opamp or if I should just buy a new card. Card is 3 years old btw.

If you can get a free op-amp it'd be worth a shot, but typically when a card is dying there isn't much that can be done. I don't think replacing the op-amp would make much of a difference but I wouldn't spend money on one, just get a free one to test it with. Otherwise well, you may want to switch to onboard until you can get a new sound card in.

If you can get a free op-amp it'd be worth a shot, but typically when a card is dying there isn't much that can be done. I don't think replacing the op-amp would make much of a difference but I wouldn't spend money on one, just get a free one to test it with. Otherwise well, you may want to switch to onboard until you can get a new sound card in.

Noted. I'm on onboard right now and my ears are bleeding, time to scour for another auzentech card.

I have a few op-amps lying around if you want to test it out. The Prelude has one socket for it right?

Otherwise, I know Auzentech has deals on refurbished cards every so often if money is kind of tight. If not, you could always opt for another Prelude or a Forte. The Bravura would be another option though it stops at EAX 4.0, great card but if you have EAX 5.0 games then I'd go with the Prelude or Forte.

Where is the sound crackly from? Is it the main line out? Or is it all the line outs? If it's the main line out, it *could* be the opamp at fault... if it's all the line outs, I'd say it's either the fault of another component, or a corrupted driver, or user settings.

You can get free LM4562 (MDIP=LM4562NA) from National Semiconductor (it's like 3 samples, postage free, if you are a student or engineer, or *something* to be worthy of electronic parts)

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html#Order

Sounds good man, glad you're liking the new Bravura. Its really a great card, plus its been tweaked enough so there is barely any performance hit going from a hardware card to a software card.

Sorry to hear about the Prelude, but the Bravura should more than make up for it.

• 5 weeks later...

Surprise, surprise, after a month the prelude started working again. It seems it might have been some sort of driver issue, maybe. Now I just have to figure out how to get the console launcher to work without whacking out on me.