Opinion on EPU-6 Engine

Gaz_m2k5

What is everyone's opinion on the EPU-6 Engine?

It came with my Asus P6X58D-Premium motherboard.

For those who don't know, it's just a piece of software that sets power savings, there's 4 modes, ranging from low power which turns all the fans down and sets the power usage down a certain amount, to Turbo, I think that overclocks the PC a bit.

Is this just a waste of resources?

And without the software running, does the PC run at equivalent of "high performance" mode?

I just like being able to turn all fans off at the click of a button, so if need be I'll just leave the software alone, and open it when I want some silence.

Mine came with the EPU-4 engine which im assuming is essentially the same only an earlier version. My opinion is trying it out for a while and see what you think of the EPU-6. My high performance profile didnt OC it, just let it run at full speed, the power saving did save power but i barely noticed it on my Battery backup wattage readings, also on "auto" it will switch back and forth, again, small diff.

In the end i un-installed it due to it not working with my manual overclock. Also my board has the turbo boost option which i find to be a little cheesy but i cant be too critical since i never even bothered setting it up and trying it. I doubt it would take a 2.6 to a 3.0. So its all in your personal opinion, spend some time without it, then try it out, you can always set it to not be a start up program then use it only sometimes if your not overclocking. If its only fans your worried about check out AMD overdrive or speed fan, they can both control fans too but work just fine with manual OC'ing.

Mine came with the EPU-4 engine which im assuming is essentially the same only an earlier version. My opinion is trying it out for a while and see what you think of the EPU-6. My high performance profile didnt OC it, just let it run at full speed, the power saving did save power but i barely noticed it on my Battery backup wattage readings, also on "auto" it will switch back and forth, again, small diff.

In the end i un-installed it due to it not working with my manual overclock. Also my board has the turbo boost option which i find to be a little cheesy but i cant be too critical since i never even bothered setting it up and trying it. I doubt it would take a 2.6 to a 3.0. So its all in your personal opinion, spend some time without it, then try it out, you can always set it to not be a start up program then use it only sometimes if your not overclocking. If its only fans your worried about check out AMD overdrive or speed fan, they can both control fans too but work just fine with manual OC'ing.

I've been fiddling around with speed fan but it's not great.

On my motherboard I have 3 fans, CPU fan into the CPU fan socket, a top fan into CHA_1 and a rear fan into CHA_2.

In speed fan the rear fan and top fan come up as Sys fan and Aux1 fan, (I don't know which one is which) whilst nothing comes up as Aux Fan and Aux2 Fan.

I'd expect the fans to be Aux Fan and Aux1 Fan... but oh well.

And then the controllers are called Speed01, Speed02 and Speed 03.

From opening the case I found that Speed02 controls both top and rear fans, whilst Speed01 and Speed03 do nothing.

Can't seem to control the CPU fan either, which seems to be the loudest since it's running the fastest.

EPU-6 seems to make it much quieter than speedfan.

yeah speedfan can be difficult sometimes, i like AMD overdrive except for two things, my voltages either read wrong, or read whats being used instead of whats available to be used, not sure how that all works but i know the 5v is supposed to hang around 5, 12v hang around 12, etc, and AOD is the only thing that tells me odd numbers. Also the auto clock made my ram too high and wouldnt put the voltage to 2.1v like its supposed to be. So i went back to good old fashioned manual OC'ing which worked out fine till temps became an issue, so i simply backed it off a little and am quite satisfied with the results. I cant say for sure if AOD will work with 3 fan headers, mine displays cpu fan speed, adjustable, GPU fan speed, adjustable, and one fan reading thats blank, seems like i either have another header available or thats just how it is for my set-up. I only have one machine that will run the program so i dont have comparisons to go by. It also seems the program is in early stages of development.