i7-980X Overclock?

Good evening everyone,

Let me introduce myself, since this'll be my first post -- I'm Zane, 20, an Airman and an air traffic controller in the USAF. I've got a fairly extensive technological background being A+, CCNA, Server+, and Linux+ certified. Computers are pretty much my life, alongside the Air Force & working on my truck, etc.

I'm in the process of building a brand new computer, after dealing with a slowly aging laptop (getting close to 5 and a half years old now), and I decided to go all-out on my new machine.

-Intel Core i7-980X (Extreme Edition) (sure beats an ol' Pentium, eh?)

-ASUS P6X58D Prem. motherboard

-12GB (3x4GB) Kingston HyperX RAM (1600 MHz)

-liquid cooling (big change for me; this'll be my first liquid-cooled system)

-a ATI Radeon 5870

-Windows 7 Ult.

I figured I'd look into overclocking the CPU & the RAM (since I've read from numerous places the RAM operates at 1066 MHz by default). I don't know much about the subject, and am hoping someone would give me some pointers, etc.

I'm interested in getting my CPU stable as close to 4.5 GHz (+1.2 GHz from stock) as possible; no higher.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dodge0359a

Welcome to the forums and it looks like a nice rig you have planned out :thumbs-up:

Re overclocking I highly recommend digging up as much info on OCC as possible and googling for i7 OC guides. There is a surplus of info out there about overclocking with the i7s and a helpful community here.

Enjoy :)