Help me OC my E8400 please?

I'd like to reach 4.00 GHz on my Intel E8400, here are it's current settings and BIOS specs:

(some pics might take a while to load, sorry)

1.png

2.png

3.png

11.png

22.png

i know a little about oc'ing and i have tried getting it to 4.00 but no luck, orthos kept saying "5 but under 4 expected", if anyone can set me up with a decent FSB/Memory Timings/Voltages setup that i can try i'd be very greatful.

thanks, AndyMosh

You'll need a pretty good heatsink to get up to 4ghz. In order to get 4ghz, you'll need to set your fsb to 445. Set your system memory multiplier to 2.00. Put your ddr2 voltage to normal. Lastly, set your vcore to about 1.35 or so. I would first start by setting fsb at 400, which will equal 3.6ghz. Then run prime 95 or whatever torture test you use. Also watch your temps while doing so. Run Prime95 for a couple hours on blend test and also check "round of checking" in advanced. If anything fails, bump your vcore. Make sure you watch your temps! I have a similar setup as you. I've got an E8500 clocked at 4.085ghz with idle temps at 38c and load temps at 61c max. Hope this helps!

Edited by Danzer

You will definately need a good air cooler. My E8400 ran a little over 4.3 (I think) on air with a V8 in a coolermaster HAF 932. On H20 I'm running 4.05 all day, and stable at 4.5GhZ, so it is definately capable. You may need to up your voltage some (fsb and cpu) from stock. Leaving the voltage on auto doesn't work too well on most motherboards when doing any serious overclocking. I run 1.475 volts on CPU (although I'm pretty sure it could be a lot lower, just haven't played with it yet), 1.3 volts FSB, and a slight increase on my north and south bridge voltages. That's on a XFX 780i. Different boards and chipsets will vary.

Best bet is to increase overclock in small amounts, upping voltage as you go. It's tedious, but try a 10% OC (3.3ghz), if it's stable go up, if not, raise voltage a little and try again. Keep going up in small increments until you're stable at 4.0 or the highest you can get. Just make sure to monitor motherboard and CPU temperatures as you are benchmarking/testing to ensure you aren't overheating.

Other things to consider are your case and fan setup (this will directly affect your CPU temperature if running on air), and what your motherboard FSB is rated to. You will need a FSB of about about 1780 FSB, or 445 actual. This will most likely mean raising FSB voltage as well as CPU voltage. If your case/fans/motherboard heatsinks don't keep your board cool, you may have problems reaching 4.0GhZ. Can you add any more details about your system?

I got to 4ghz on the stock intel heatsink. It only took 1.23v. You have a low vid you should be able to get 4ghz under 1.25v. My vid is 1.25v. Now that I've run my cpu at 4.5 ghz for so long, the extra voltage is wearing it down, and now it takes almost 1.3v to run the same 4ghz.