OC my NB freq makes my computer not boot

warrior

Hello,

So I've read Dolk's guide and a whole slew of other information regarding OCing the 955.

My specs:

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Mushkin XP3-12800 DDR3 Ram, 8gigs 7-7-7-18 at 1340mghz

Coolermaster V8

Coolermaster HAF 932 case

What I've done, slowly increased the multiplier until i hit the ceiling, then slowly increased cpu voltage.

I got the computer to boot into windows at x18 3.8ghz, with 1.475v. I never touched the NB FQ yet. Cinebench passed the render test but 15 min into Prime95, I got BSOD and computer rebooted.

I went back into bios to up nb fq and as soon as I upped it from 2000mghz to 2200mghz, the computer no longer boots. Even into the BIOS. It turns on, but nothing happens.

I then have to clear CMOS to be able to get back into the BIOS.. any idea what could be causing this? By the way, this is my first time over clocking :D

Try moving the NB voltage to 1.20 volts and set the Freq to 2200mhz, try your stability test again, if that fails raise up the CPU-NB voltage also. Ill be wiling to bet you don't have enough power to the NB to make it work but I could be wrong. Also when you get that High in voltage raise you VDDA to 2.62 to compensate for the extra voltage you need to distribute to the motherboard. You may just be starving it to death.

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Try moving the NB voltage to 1.20 volts and set the Freq to 2200mhz, try your stability test again, if that fails raise up the CPU-NB voltage also. Ill be wiling to bet you don't have enough power to the NB to make it work but I could be wrong. Also when you get that High in voltage raise you VDDA to 2.62 to compensate for the extra voltage you need to distribute to the motherboard. You may just be starving it to death.

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Thanks, I'll try upping the voltage. I wonder if I'm upping the right voltage though.. in my bios, it looks like this:

bios_over.png

Those aren't my settings, but thats what it looks like. Would I be upping the CPU NB VID Control or the Northbridge Volt Control? the NB Volt Control only gives me three options, +0.1, +0.2, and +0.3. The CPU NB VID Control gives me increments of 0.025v.

Raise the CPU Core Voltage to 1.525V to see if Prime 95 runs stable. For the NB Frequency, you should have it around 2400-2600Mhz for 3.8Ghz. I have mine at 2600Mhz :) All I needed to raise to stabilize the NB Frequency was the CPU-NB VID. For 2400Mhz - 1.25V, 2600Mhz - 1.3V. My default CPU-NB VID is 1.175V so +.075 would be 1.25V and +.125 would be 1.3V.

Edited by SuperEmostastix