Help me unlock the 4th core of Phenom II 720

aharoon111

Hi iWant a small help to unlock the th core. I have MB Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S and CPU PhenomII 720 Ram KingStone 1*2GB PC800.

From Bios I I set EC Firmware Selection to Hybrid and Advanced Core Calibration to All Cores and Value All cores to -2%. I disabled SpreadSpectrum Cool'n Quiet C1E.

when i restart I could see the 4th unlocked from Bios but when It load the system it turns to black screen and everything hung. windows never startup. i Didnt increase any Voltage but when i look at cpuz before i oc i found core voltage 1.408 do u think its too high or too law? here is screen shot for cpuz before unlocking.

19644853.th.png

et1i.th.jpg

et2.th.jpg

et4b.th.jpg

et3c.th.jpg

et5j.th.jpg

Core's defective then. Though luck.

I unlocked the forth core and it was hung on windows load. I tried to disabe core2 and enable core3 it hung at the same point. after that i tried to disable core3 and enable core2 it hang at the same point. by default one of them should be enabled before unlocking the forth core. so if there is defect core it should sucess to load windows when i disable the defect core. but i tried to disable core2 and core3 the issues so i guess it is something else not defect core. i dont know if im right or wrong but this is my idea you are more experience with oc and amd this my first time

Sorry for the late reply, been away all afternoon...

Now it's been a while since I looked at unlocking, but AFAIK switching off cores 2 and 3 don't help since it's core 4 which causes problems (don't hold me to that I never mess with ACC). There are two ways to try to get it working, one involves increasing the voltage as you mentioned [insert usual disclaimer, overclocking may in rare cases fry components etc etc]. Slowly increase the CPU voltage, making sure you stay within the limits for your chip - check it yourself but I think 1.4v is a good barrier. I wouldn't recommend this if you're using the stock cooler of course!

The other method involves underclocking your processor - ie lowering the multi or FSB to lower the clock speed. Now before doing this think hard about what you're using the processor for - only a few programs benefit from quad cores, such as image or video editing programs. Office programs don't so much and games definitely don't, so for the latter you're effectively lowering the speed by underclocking.

If neither work I can't think of anything else myself. You can still overclock it though, it overclocks beautifully aparently!

I dont have any option to disable core0 or core1 just 2 options for core2 and core3 in bios. i want to ask about ACC I cant set it to all cores or per core unless I enabled Hybird otherwise it return to disabled. if i set it to auto it stay at auto. also i want to know it b default at 2% is this a good value or i have to change this value??

You are SOL unfortunately. Unlocking is light overclocking, there are no guarantees. I have had two 720's for example, only one would successfully unlock and the other not so much.

Just because some can unlock does not mean that ALL can unlock without a hitch. I would concentrate less on unlocking the cores and more about cooling it properly and OCing the snot out of it. You have a great candidate.

I knew that I have a great cpu and great MB. U knew I compare its perfoormance with notebook hp pailion dv6 1155 with 4 GB of ram it too faster than hp. without unlock or overclock. But i Bought this cpu for onething to try unlock and overclocking. and I faild to unlock. I'll wait before overclock a few days and start oc.