overclocking northbridge phenom ii

actionstan

hello, i was curious if it was worth while to overclock my north bridge on my mobo, and if i do i was looking to overclock it to 2.2ghz or 2.4 at most.. and if i do overclock it and find i need a voltage bump, should i bump up the cpu-nb voltage, or the nb voltage, or both? as of now they are both set to "auto" and is there any reason to raise my ht link, i always heard i should leave it at 2.0 but i dont really know, and i know the NB controlls the ram and im not overclocking ram if it makes a difference. (this is the pc in my sig)

Edited by actionstan

All those things won't do almost anything in terms of speed. They are used mainly for stability tweaking when overclocking the cpu. I'd suggest to find all the values and set the manualy though...that way you always know what it is and nothing is hidden. I hate to see "Auto" in my bios.

All those things won't do almost anything in terms of speed. They are used mainly for stability tweaking when overclocking the cpu. I'd suggest to find all the values and set the manualy though...that way you always know what it is and nothing is hidden. I hate to see "Auto" in my bios.

well i dont know why i would want to change them from auto, because they are all related to the motherboard i always thought the only voltage you should NEVER leave on auto is CPU voltage, everything else should be safe on auto right? because chances are once i get a decent overclock ill never be in the bios again

It's simply more practical to put them on the values they are at. This way you are certain that that is what they are at...also when you overclock you can see everything more clearly. Makes me feel better anyway. If you want to overclock those, you'll need to overclock the cpu beyond it's "comfortable zone" meaning it should start to crash even with voltage increasings. That way you can put the NB into the equation and it will help with stability but like I said, on it's own it doesn't do anything except stress the components. It's like firing a mini gun to kill, with blanks. ;)