Overclocking problem

Shlouski

Hi guys, ive found a lot of helpful threads on the website, so i thought, why not join. Well i used to have P5NT-D, which ive had many problems with, I think its a problem with the early 780i chipsets. Ive just bought a P5Q-E, as ive read that the P45 chipsets overclock very well. I have a q9550 which was stable at 3.4 (stock vcore) in my P5NT-D and 8gb of geil 800mhz cl4, so i can rule out the processor as being the problem and the ram is on loose timings. The motherboard has hit the wall at 395 FSB, which is stable for hours and hours, but if i try for 396 it wont even post. I was thinking of trying my 1066mhz kingston ram and trying different ram fsb ratios, but i dunno if this is going to help. Can anyone help please?

I'm sure someone else can, but I can't help you with the Asus P5 series boards, I used to have one (don't remember which?), but I had nothing but problems with it, and eventually RMA'ed it, thats when I got into the ROG series boards. I know Gigabyte makes one heck of a P45 board!

Hopefully someone will be along to help you out with your P5Q-E

I thought i would try some different memory. I had 4gb of corsair 800mhz memory in another computer, so i popped a 2gb chip of it in and now i have 410mhz stable. Im still going as far as I can, i wonder if it wasnt working because it had 4gb of ram and now it has 2gb of ram, or if it was not liking the geil ram.

410Mhz? do you mean 410 on the FSB? or 4.1GHz cpu speed?

2Gb's of memory will OC easier than 4Gb's! & yes there could also be a compatibility issue? Not sure though?

2Gb's are easier on your northbridge.