Is it a GOOD overclocking for a X4 940?

expertmax

Hi !

I would like to know guys if my overclocking is considered good.

FSB: 200MHZ

Multi: 18x

HT: 1800MHZ

Mem: 400Mhz (1:2 Ratio)

What i can change (memory timings for example) that can make my computer run faster and in a optimal way?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=734929

EDIT: Gives me 19s on 1M in SuperPI!

Thank you all, happy oc'ing !

Edited by expertmax

Hi !

I would like to know guys if my overclocking is considered good.

FSB: 200MHZ

Multi: 18x

HT: 1800MHZ

Mem: 400Mhz (1:2 Ratio)

What i can change (memory timings for example) that can make my computer run faster and in a optimal way?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=734929

EDIT: Gives me 19s on 1M in SuperPI!

Thank you all, happy oc'ing !

I keep my CPU (same as yours) at 3.6 too, i dont think its really worth OC'ing it any further to 3.8 because the performance gain is minimal, unless you go water cooling and break past 4ghz that is :lol: if you want more speed then id suggest looking at your RAM timings, as far as i know the tighter the latancy the faster it is for real world applications, good luck! :)

Edited by SenitaL

I keep my CPU (same as yours) at 3.6 too, i dont think its really worth OC'ing it any further to 3.8 because the performance gain is minimal, unless you go water cooling and break past 4ghz that is :lol: if you want more speed then id suggest looking at your RAM timings, as far as i know the tighter the latancy the faster it is for real world applications, good luck! :)

4-4-4-12 @ 400mhz should do it ?

Its a kind of personal balancing act really, i dont think theres a right or wrong here, what i do is set my ram speeds at the highest and then slowly work the timings tighter untill i get a crash, then i losen them a slight bit just for good measure, anyone else have some advice for expertmax? im not an expert afterall and could do with some backup here guys! *nudge* :lol:

Your overclock shows 5-5-5-18 at 3.6Ghz. I'd try and tighten that to 4-4-4-12 if you're able. I'm unfamiliar with your Asus nvidia chipset motherboard. It looks like a nice overclock. I usually kept my 940s about the 3.6Ghz range. I could get a little higher but the temps were so good at that speed. 3.6Ghz-3.8Ghz seems to be about the normal for a 940 overclock. This is the best I could do with one of my 940s http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=668857 Running it at 3.8Ghz stable was acheivable but provided no noticable difference at 3.6Ghz other than higher temps.

Nice job and welcome to OCC.

(sorry i forgot to welcome you!) Welcome to the OCC!

Phew! Thanks for the backup rourkchris, about time someone pulled their pants up! :P im baffled as to why there are no gains at 3.8, if thats the case then wouldnt it be pointless to push further on to 4ghz? ive never pushed mine past 3.8, but you never know i might have a good clocker :lol:

Edited by SenitaL

(sorry i forgot to welcome you!) Welcome to the OCC!

Phew! Thanks for the backup rourkchris, about time someone pulled their pants up! :P im baffled as to why there are no gains at 3.8, if thats the case then wouldnt it be pointless to push further on to 4ghz? ive never pushed mine past 3.8, but you never know i might have a good clocker :lol:

There is an increase it's just that percentage wise it's so small and you can't notice it except in some sythetic benchmark scores. 4Ghz is just that magical # that's very hard to attain. Sort of a glass ceiling. I was a bit obsessed with 4Ghz for quite a while. I hit it with a Q6600 and a Phenom II 965 for suicide screenshots. I had one 965 that was OCCT 1 hour stable at 4Ghz but I sold it(and the others). Finally hit 4Ghz stable with temps I could live with 24/7 100% load when I went with an i7. Even with an i7 really good cooling is needed generally and 4Ghz still isn't guaranteed. Now I can hit 4.6Ghz+ for a suicide screenshot and SuperPi 1M, and run benchmarks like 3DMark and SuperPi 32M at 4.5Ghz. I run it 24/7 at 4Ghz now as the temps are good and the performance is where I need it at that speed.

xchrissypoox has started a thread attempting to show that CPU speed is less important than GPU power for gaming in many(but not all) games http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=168176

Very interesting thread! I'd like to see people here add to it and show their results and try to expand the games so we can all see where CPU speed is needed and where it isn't(for gaming).