High Cpu Temps

SirBriaNx

I just got a brand new rig a little over a week ago. Here are my specs.

CPU: Phenom 2 x4 955BE

PSU: Corsair 750w

Mobo: Asus M4A79T Deluxe

GPU: XFX 4890

RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2gb

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Cpu Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2

HDD: Western Digital 640gb

When I originally put it together I had decent temps. I OC'd to 3.8ghz and was getting 38c on avg.

Then things suddenly changed and I was getting about 44c Stock in the day time and about 37c stock at night time.

Someone recommened I clean the thermal paste off and apply some new paste. So, I did it. Now things have gotten worse.

After I reseated the cooler this is what I got. Only had AIM and firefox running.

31608780.jpg

Then I closed Aim and firefox, opened up Over Drive again, and this is what I got.

givingup.jpg

I am worried about the health of my computer. It was a big investment for me and I have yet to enjoy it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your CPU load is higher in the second shot...I'd expect temps to be a bit higher. Your temps don't look to be anything out of the ordinary either.

Edited by Waco

Your CPU load is higher in the second shot...I'd expect temps to be a bit higher. Your temps don't look to be anything out of the ordinary either.

My cpus used to flat line except the last one. It moves whenever I move my mouse. Now they always look like tiny rocky mountains.

The difference in daytime and nightime temps is likely your ambient room temperature. Hotter in the daytime and cooler at night. I'm guessing here but I can't think of another reason for the time of day difference. When you re-applied thermal paste you may have put too much on and caused higher temps. What is the CPU voltage set at? Did you stability test your overclock afterwards?

Welcome to OCC.

The difference in daytime and nightime temps is likely your ambient room temperature. Hotter in the daytime and cooler at night. I'm guessing here but I can't think of another reason for the time of day difference. When you re-applied thermal paste you may have put too much on and caused higher temps. What is the CPU voltage set at? Did you stability test your overclock afterwards?

Welcome to OCC.

I was thinking that but I did a small drop.. but still could be too much? My voltage is at 1.35 stock. I'm not overclocking anymore. Everything is stock atm. I'm a little scared to overclock now tbh =p

I was thinking that but I did a small drop.. but still could be too much? My voltage is at 1.35 stock. I'm not overclocking anymore. Everything is stock atm. I'm a little scared to overclock now tbh =p

Personally I've learned that I always put too much on. I put on a small size amount and place the heatsink on and twist it to get full coverage. Then I lift it up and look. No matter how many times I've done it I always have applied too much. I wipe off the base of the heatsink and put it on and twist again. I then lift it up a second time and it's usually the correct amount and then I mount the heatsink in place.

If you do decide to overclock again there are guides here to help you and plenty of knowledgable and experience overclockers to help.

Personally I've learned that I always put too much on. I put on a small size amount and place the heatsink on and twist it to get full coverage. Then I lift it up and look. No matter how many times I've done it I always have applied too much. I wipe off the base of the heatsink and put it on and twist again. I then lift it up a second time and it's usually the correct amount and then I mount the heatsink in place.

If you do decide to overclock again there are guides here to help you and plenty of knowledgable and experience overclockers to help.

Hmm perhaps I did =/

I want to overclock again asap. =D

Would you happen to know why my cores dont flatline anymore when I'm not doing anything? They are always rippling. Not drastically though.

Edited by SirBriaNx

Hmm perhaps I did =/

I want to overclock again asap. =D

Would you happen to know why my cores dont flatline anymore when I'm not doing anything? They are always rippling. Not drastically though.

Background apps..

Redo the thermal paste and always run stress tests before you decide to continue OCing or on a new build, so that you wont have trouble running apps on an OCed CPU//!!

All the Best!!

Edited by nns

The second Screenshot is about 5c lower then my Phemon 940 sits when clocked to 3.50 under full load. lol. looks like the cooling solution needs an update to water if you want lower then that

Could be a tweaked cooler contact plate or cpu heatspreader.