Phenom II 965, MSI 790FX-GD70, and G.Skill Ripjaw

Baulten

Well I've had a chance to do a bit of tweaking with my new setup on water, and it's not bad at all. If you've been following my worklog, you'll see some of the stuff... but I'm currently without a Camera so updates for that will have to wait. Anyway here is just some quick, prelim testing with my new CPU thanks to rourkchris, and a nice open-box MSI GD70 with 4 gigs of G.Skill Ripjaw memory in it.

The board is great; really nice to work with, self explanatory bios, and a massive range of functions. This CPU clocks to the heavens; I was able to boot windows all the way up to 4.2 GHz on STOCK voltage :O It does 3.8 GHz stable at 1.43V in BIOS, 1.424 load in windows, though I think I could bump it down a little and still be stable. The RAM is disappointing; it's optimized for i5/i7 and won't do 7-7-7-24 at 1.65V. For that matter, it won't do CAS 7 period; no boot at CAS 7 no matter what I try. I haven't tried pushing it past 1600 yet. The secondary timings tighten down really good though, it's now running at 8-7-6-15-20 at 1600 Mhz 1.65V. This is all 2 hour prime 95 stable.. and don't worry, I'm not done tweaking yet ;)

post-65598-1253670136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baulten

Guest ajmatson

Very nice so far. How do you like the Ripjaw series memory? I really like the design of them. How is the cooling on the heatspreader?

Also on a side note can you tell me where you got the Stargate wallpaper so I can download it :)

The Ripjaw memory... sucks for AMD. These sticks are rated at 7-7-7-24, but they won't do Cas 7 even with 1.8V, and I'm not willing to put more through them. They do secondary timings really nice as you can see. The heatspreaders are sufficient. I can't say I've really checked out the temps too much.

As for the wallpaper... I don't remember. I copied my whole Wallpaper folder to my external, then formatted and installed windows 7 on my internal drive. If you want, I could email it to you; it's 1650x1080. PM me if you want. It was from a free site so I'm sure there's nothing illegal.

Guest ajmatson

I will pm you for it thanks, BTW on the memory note Waco I have a set of OCZ Spec Ops Urban Elite memory running 2000MHz at 7-7-7-20 @1.8v with no issues. Granted the extra bandwidth does not make much of a difference on the system as a whole it does reach them. I also have a set of XMS3 DHX that will do almost 2000MHz at the same latencies and voltage.