Overclock Q9550 to 3.4Ghz on a P5Q Turbo

Snaptrap

I wish you the best of luck with whatever it is you're doing here, but it's not overclocking. Overclocking is carefully testing and studying the performance of your processor to determine exactly how high you can push it. What you're doing is shooting in the dark. The major problem for you will be when something goes wrong. You're not going to have any idea how to fix it because you don't seem to have any idea what all the settings that you're messing with are.

I do know what all those settings in that guide you provided mean and I've done overclocking in the past. Overclocking doesn't mean pushing your processor as far as it can, it means increasing it further than stock. I know with most overclockers that the CPU needs to be on fire before they're satisfied. I looked around the net to get some ideas of what people use for the Q9550 and the stock setting is already at those voltages. I ran multiple tests with several different stress programs and everything passed. The problem is with older motherboards is that they don't apply sufficient voltages when set to Auto which is why users manually configure them. 3.4Ghz with this CPU is easy to obtain on this board according to Asus techs. They suggested using manual configurations when pushing the CPU over 3.6Ghz since this particular board won't Auto configure to settings that could damage the system if poorly applied, which is what would be needed for those speeds. In other words the system will likely lock up from insufficient Auto settings instead of burning out from excessive manual settings.

Edited by Snaptrap

Ok

Your CPU voltage is going to take what it takes all of them are different

3.4 or 425x8 should be easily obtainable

CPU volts 1.35 to 1.375 and you can move up or down from there

Dram volts to whatever they call for stock and stock timings at the 800MHz divider( Just to get to a point of stability, You can change later)

The rest leave on auto the P5Q's do a good job of setting the volts so you play with them later on if you wish 1 at a time

THe P5Q Deluxe got my Q9450 to 500FSB so it is a capable motherboard

I do know what all those settings in that guide you provided mean and I've done overclocking in the past.

The problem is with older motherboards is that they don't apply sufficient voltages when set to Auto which is why users manually configure them. 3.4Ghz with this CPU is easy to obtain on this board according to Asus techs. They suggested using manual configurations when pushing the CPU over 3.6Ghz since this particular board won't Auto configure to settings that could damage the system if poorly applied, which is what would be needed for those speeds. In other words the system will likely lock up from insufficient Auto settings instead of burning out from excessive manual settings.

OK, first of all, manual settings will tell you what YOUR system needs. DO YOU NEED 1.7v PLL ?? DO YOU NEED 1.3v VTT?? They are set to AUTO so you don't know. Did you work up your OC from stock settings and test as you went along to see what your system needs for the specific OC, NO. Did you download Intels spec sheet to see what the MAX voltages for these settings should be, probably not.

Will you need to exceed Intels maximum voltages for an OC, people do every day but NOT usually for 3.4 Ghz, but you are on AUTO and gave up control to your MB. Some of your settings are already ABOVE Intels max. Will these setting kill your processor, who knows, you could run these settings for 10 years without a problem or it could die in 10 months. Do you know if you have to run these settings, you don't. Take back control of your computer and OC the right way.

THIS IS WHAT OVERCLOCKING IS ALL ABOUT!

My Q9550 will do 3.4Ghz @ stock CPU voltage of 1.150v and a PLL voltage of 1.5v. You originally posted that you manually entered 1.52v PLL and it passed stability testing. When you put it to auto it gives you 1.7v PLL. I think you've been chastized a little here but it's to illustrate the need to manually set voltages and understand these settings without blindly changing them too high or leaving them on auto and the board setting them too high. What's the hurry? Take your time and learn the process of overclocking. You may enjoy it. It will be far more satisfying in the end to do it yourself at the lowest possible voltages to attain your goals than it will be to take someone else's settings from the internet and applying it to your own setup with the hope that it will work. Do you know the guy who's system settings you borrowed? Is his system still running? Is it a pile of smoke and burnt silicone? Just some things to think about.