Overclocking i7 w/ Gigabyte UD4P

Hey guys, so i just completed my first build a few days ago, and am really looking to overclock a bit

system is as follows

HAF 932

INTEL I7 d0 stepping

gigabyte ud4p

ocz platinum 7-7-7-19 atm

evga gtx 275

scythe mugen 2 cpu cooler

after running my first prime 95, i peaked out at temps right around 54 or so, this is stock, which i thought was pretty good

now i used the gigabyte easy tune controls to overclock to 2.9 ghz and ran prime and got about 59

i am wondering if anyone can help me with overclock settings, exactly what to put where, i am looking to achieve around 3.6-3.8

someone had told me gigabyte provides a pdf file explaining how to get to 4.0, but i have not been able to find this anywhere

any help would be really great, this is my first overclock, so i am very very new to all of this

Hey,

welcome to OCC!

The guide you were told about is right over here:

http://lakesidepc.com/Core.i7.920.oc.4G.2008.12.12_ENG.pdf

It is a bit different, but for 3.6-3.8 you will really just need to decrease the bclk.

Also, for 3.6-3.8, stock cooling may be a little too close, you might want to get an after-market cooler.

If after checking the guide out you still have questions, feel free to PM.

Good luck!

The things to look at would be the bclock setting, the CPU volts, the QPI volts and the IOH volts.

For 3.6 you need about a 180bclock you should be able to get there with a small bump in the QPI/vtt voltage, the ioh voltage and a small bump to the CPU voltage. You already have aftermarket cooling so that is a start. Just as a reference my DO chip needs 1.30 volts to be prime stable at 4.0 and 1.36 for 4.14. Temperatures on air were a maximum of 77C in a 80F room.

The things to look at would be the bclock setting, the CPU volts, the QPI volts and the IOH volts.

For 3.6 you need about a 180bclock you should be able to get there with a small bump in the QPI/vtt voltage, the ioh voltage and a small bump to the CPU voltage. You already have aftermarket cooling so that is a start. Just as a reference my DO chip needs 1.30 volts to be prime stable at 4.0 and 1.36 for 4.14. Temperatures on air were a maximum of 77C in a 80F room.

thanks for the reply, i have my system stable up to about 3.6 ghz, which is just where i want it, my temps are 70 max, and 38 idle. I set my voltages to CPU 1.325, QPUI 1.315

oddly enough, i had to drop my memory down to 8-8-8-20, and when i tried to pick that back up, the system became unstable.

Can i lower my voltages??? is there anything bad about keeping the voltages where they are at?? and will i notice any difference in RAM between 7-7-7-19 and 8-8-8-20 at 540 mhz?

I think your CPU and QPI volts can come down a little bit.

to test out the memory and IMC you can download an ISO of Memtest 2.10 burn it to disk and then boot from this disk to see if your memory is indeed having issues.

The OCZ set I have needs 1.65 to 1.7 volts on the memory and 1.375 on the QPI to get stable to run at 1600mHz 7-7-7-20 You probably wont nitice the difference unless you are running benchmarks

when you say the volts can come down a bit....how much do you think??

im pretty sure my memory is fine, im not sure why it wont run how it is

i will try raising the memory volts, are you using the same MOBO as i am?

when you say the volts can come down a bit....how much do you think??

im pretty sure my memory is fine, im not sure why it wont run how it is

i will try raising the memory volts, are you using the same MOBO as i am?

Did you try setting it to "auto" or default settings and seeing what voltage is it set at?

For memory volts, dont go over 1.65v as Intel says permanent CPU damage may occur. Most people set their ram in the range of 1.60-1.64V, but consult your memory manufacturer to make sure you RAM won't over heat.

Setting auto normally overvolts the CPU. I would say you could probably go to 1.275 or lower with a good chip. The 1.65 spec is there for a reason but as long as you keep the QPI/vtt volts and vdimm within .50 volts the additional vdimm has not killed chips. I have run 1.70 to 1.75 and not had any degredation of the CPU. Your mileage may vary though