AM3 Cooling

I just recently purchased

Phenom II x4 955

MSI 790fx gd70

This cooler

I was under the impression that 2+ would work with 3 boards....

The mounting to the motherboard seems to be completely different...and there doesnt seem to be an adapter. Am overlooking something?

Edited by Ethenolas

It should work just fine. Read the instructions. There's a clip that goes between the heatpipes and clips onto the board. My last cooler was the 9500A, and it fit just fine on an AM2+ board, and the mounting brackets ARE the same.

It should work just fine. Read the instructions. There's a clip that goes between the heatpipes and clips onto the board. My last cooler was the 9500A, and it fit just fine on an AM2+ board, and the mounting brackets ARE the same.

the gd70 is a AM3 board. It has a rectangular heatsink mounting bracket rather than square

look at the screw positions...

I think i know what you are talking about...i will try it when I get home....

Edited by Ethenolas

Guest ajmatson

Baulten is correct. The AM2+ and AM3 mounting hardware is exactly the same. Are you sure you cooler came with the correct retention bracket. There should be three one for LGA 775, one for LGA 1366, and one for AM2+ (which is the same for AM3). If you look at the fourth pic down here you see the AMD bracket at the bottom. Read the instructions on how to change the bracket and it should be good to go. I test plenty of AMD boards and never had one that is different.

Edited by ajmatson

Guest ajmatson
I have never overclocked before...

Still learning.

PM me if anyone is willing to offer some advice. Private support would be helpful :D

I offer private overclocking support for $25/hr ;) LOL

Well, being a black edition, the 955 is easy to overclock. Just pop into BIOS, start boosting the multiplier a half step at a time, bump voltage when necessary (although if it clocks anything like my 940, past 1.45V won't help), and keep an eye on temps.

There's more to it, of course, when you're trying to get those last few megahertz, but multi overclocking is much easier than bus clocking.

Well, being a black edition, the 955 is easy to overclock. Just pop into BIOS, start boosting the multiplier a half step at a time, bump voltage when necessary (although if it clocks anything like my 940, past 1.45V won't help), and keep an eye on temps.

There's more to it, of course, when you're trying to get those last few megahertz, but multi overclocking is much easier than bus clocking.

RAM multiplier is what I edit?

And Video card overclocking is done with software?