My Radiator Fans Really Suck!

ViperX

I will start by saying that my case is a Chieftec Dragon, not the greatest case for water cooling but not the worst either. The rad is mounted on the outside of the case but due to space constraints I couldn't mount it parallel to the back of the case, I had to mount it perpendicular to the back panel. Made the tube routing a bit of a pain. It worked well enough though.

I recently upgraded to the Phenom2 955 idle temp was 27C full load for 1/2 hour with Prime 95 was 37C

I got thinking about the rad placement today. The way the rad is sitting the fans can take in some of the air that is being pushed out by the rear case fans and to a lesser extent the exhaust from the 4890. So I decided to flip the fans around so that they are sucking air through the rad instead.

Flipped the fans around and started the system back up, once windows loaded I checked the temp once all four cores had been idle ~5min, 24C. Then let P95 run for about half an hour and load temp topped at 33C. Not earth shattering by any means but I will gladly take a 4 degree reduction in load temp for free.

Nice to know that someone is willing to think outside the box for about 4C and try things out of the ordinary. Way to go viper. and also where is it clocked? or is that at factory fsb x multi

I was tempted to reseal the radiator of of an SL500 and mount it outside my house with the Factory suction fans attached..... I know. it will be a little warmer then inside BUT it will never overheat by god. ;)

Currently testing 3.6Ghz. 20min prime stable so far, had to bump CPU voltage slightly.

According to Everest and Asus PC Probe this board overvolts the CPU, 1.35 in bios yields ~1.40. Currently at 1.375 in bios, both PC Probe and Everest reporting 1.42.

CPU temp is holding at 34C