Overclocking Multiplier vs Base Clock

whether or not you just use the multi or not, well it depends on the cpu too. My cpu doesnt really do well with my multiplier over 17.5. It just doesnt. actually I can get a lot higher by then raising my fsb. Usually i leave the multi at 16.5. It can run less volts then. So it is a trial and error thing. Now as far as performance, The NB really plays a lot more of a role then you would think. Getting the data to the cpu is important. So run your memory as tight as possible with the NB as high as you can get it. That can bring performance up 6% or even more. There is an article somewhere about the 955 but it doesnt matter because i have encountered this myself. Its not just the 955. any phenom 2 will benefit. my ddr3 ram is stock 1333 6-6-6-18, and I have dropped it to 1066 with 5-5-5 timings and kept the NB the same. So far it is about the same performance as 1333. My hypothesis is that if i can get the ram timings at 4-4-4 and 1066 or lower and my NB the same, that it will outperform the 1333 6-6-6 default setting. But thats just my theory. what is fact is raising the NB as high as it will go after you find a good overclock will give you the best results no matter if you just use the multiplier or the "fsb". The truth is you will probably settle using both if you spend time on it.

The truth is you will probably settle using both if you spend time on it.

this is probably the best way to look at it, but if one has no experience overclocking and has a cpu with an unlocked multiplier...

there is very little reason to mess with the fsb unless one wants a bit more performance out of an overclock by increasing the multiplier.

however, if one wanted to get really technical and spend lots of time on it, one could raise and lower the multiplier and correspondingly increase/decrease the fsb, tweak the ram/northbridge, etc and most likely come up with something much more stable and fast than simply tweaking either the fsb or multiplier alone.

as far as which one is better, there is probably no answer for that...

because each system is different, from cpu chip (even though they may be the same exact model) to cooling within system and the temperature of the room the system is in... even what motherboard is being used is going to play a huge role.

if you want the best overclock though, an approximate answer is probably to learn all about overclocking and do both :)