Loose backplate on Gigabyte EX58 Extreme??

Hi all,

just received the MB and cooler above. Started to install, put the 1366 backplate on the back ( confirmed it is the correct backplate in the correct orientation ), and the 4 threaded sleeves go through the board and extend above the top of the board by 0.030". So when I put in the knurled screws to hold the plate in place, it is loose due to the overextension of the sleeves!!

Am i missing something? Maybe something goes between the megahalems backplate, and the backplate on the mb??

Please advise! I am at a standstill here...

thx,

b

Well, i am a newbie.....

looks like the design might want the standoffs above the mb, tiny traces all around the holes!!

plodding forward....

Hi all,

just received the MB and cooler above. Started to install, put the 1366 backplate on the back ( confirmed it is the correct backplate in the correct orientation ), and the 4 threaded sleeves go through the board and extend above the top of the board by 0.030". So when I put in the knurled screws to hold the plate in place, it is loose due to the overextension of the sleeves!!

Am i missing something? Maybe something goes between the megahalems backplate, and the backplate on the mb??

Please advise! I am at a standstill here...

thx,

b

have you tried turning the backplate around?

there may be protrusions (or standoffs) that the screws go into for the connection of the backplate to the cooler...

these protrusions (or standoffs) should go into the motherboard and the screws could go into them making a more secure connection.

is that what you meant in the above post?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Looks like the design is for the backplate to be loose until you put it together....

once i put the two tensioning screws into place, the system became rock solid...

my thought now is , how much tension????

searching on the web for that one....

have you tried turning the backplate around?

there may be protrusions (or standoffs) that the screws go into for the connection of the backplate to the cooler...

these protrusions (or standoffs) should go into the motherboard and the screws could go into them making a more secure connection.

is that what you meant in the above post?

shouldn't need to worry too much about the tension...

just make sure to tighten until snug and no more.

the tension springs should prevent from tightening too much, and probably shouldn't be used to overly tighten for any extra tension...

maybe try treating the situation as if they were normal screws and know that if you tighten a little too much it should be okay.

as long as you don't go wild and tighten too much, it should be just fine.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Well, like the article cited above states, my 120x25mm fan + clips won't fit with the megahalems in the 'push' configuration, as the memory chips are interfering... :blink: :blink:

I had a Yates Loon fan on this side, high flow...120 x 25mm + clips..

Wish i had found this article before ordering the fan...

I just ordered two 120mm x 20mm thin profile medium speed yates loon fans for a push/pull configuration from frozencpu...

ground delivery so will be 3-5 days before installation...

will have to use Tywraps to hold them in place, but this setup looks like it'll work fine...should clear everything...

shouldn't need to worry too much about the tension...

just make sure to tighten until snug and no more.

the tension springs should prevent from tightening too much, and probably shouldn't be used to overly tighten for any extra tension...

maybe try treating the situation as if they were normal screws and know that if you tighten a little too much it should be okay.

as long as you don't go wild and tighten too much, it should be just fine.