increasing fps question

Hi I have a radeon 3870 overclock edition card and its currently overclocked at 880 core speed. I used to have a 8800gt ddr2 crappy card and decided to use a different one. I am gona start liquid cooling on my birthday im looking at almost $400 just for a custom liquid cooling system. I was wondering whats the best way to increase my fps for better quality to play better games like crysis.

Really all you can do to make better fps is to just clock the card higher. You can play around with different drivers but usually the higher framerates that those aftermarket drivers give you is usually caused by lower image quality...

My first idea would be to get a better video card. a 4850 (which would handle Crysis adequately, not brilliantly) shouldn't set you back too far (maybe 250$AUS?)

And why spend $400 on WC? You can get it cheaper than that... surely?

And why spend $400 on WC? You can get it cheaper than that... surely?

Good quality watter cooling parts are expensive. You can easily find yourself spending $400 on the parts you want.

You can get the water cooling kits for cheaper, but generally they aren't as good.

OP

You could overclock you're CPU, but I can't see a 3870 playing crysis on a high quality with decent FPS. If I were you I'd purchase some new hardware and hold off on the liquid.

What are your system specs?

Edited by tacohunter52

Good quality watter cooling parts are expensive. You can easily find yourself spending $400 on the parts you want.

You can get the water cooling kits for cheaper, but generally they aren't as good.

OP

You could overclock you're CPU, but I can't see a 3870 playing crysis on a high quality with decent FPS. If I were you I'd purchase some new hardware and hold off on the liquid.

$400? really?

I live in a world of hunting down the best price, and throwing that price at other suppliers to beat (helps that a friend works at one of said suppliers), hence I can get parts fairly cheaply...

I'm going to look into this nao..

OP

which is why im spending that much

and ive seen people play crysis on high quality with 20fps at highest on my card so I know its possible.

and ive seen people play crysis on high quality with 20fps at highest on my card so I know its possible.

20FPS isn't all that great :D

It will also depend on your other hardware.

So what are your sys specs?

You may find that an upgrade for the CPU, and GPU will be more worth while then the cooling. If you've already got a good CPU, just upgrade the GPU and buy yourself a good heatsink.

Or by the cooling. Your choice.

20FPS isn't all that great :D

It will also depend on your other hardware.

So what are your sys specs?

You may find that an upgrade for the CPU, and GPU will be more worth while then the cooling. If you've already got a good CPU, just upgrade the GPU and buy yourself a good heatsink.

Or by the cooling. Your choice.

im still going by the cooling and i have an amd athlon x2 dual core 3.10ghz processor with 4gbddr2 of ram. Im getting waterblocks for cpu, ram, video card getting a custom made one for my chipset. Wont overclocking the core speed on the video card increase my fps?

im still going by the cooling and i have an amd athlon x2 dual core 3.10ghz processor with 4gbddr2 of ram. Im getting waterblocks for cpu, ram, video card getting a custom made one for my chipset. Wont overclocking the core speed on the video card increase my fps?

Yes but it will depend on the game as well. In some cases it may only increase 1-2 frames. You'll also see more performance with overclocking your processor (unless you've already done that, you didn't state which model.)

I think it would be better value simply buying 2 4870's than on $400 of water cooling, especially if your system is already proven stable.

WAH 2?

I'd just grab a 260 and a phenom 2 if the MOBO can support it. (Actually I might pick up a 4890 instead of a 260)