overclocking help :)

hey guys first off just liek to say hi and spellin mabe a little on the wile side

ok i cant get a good stable overclock! on my rig!

specs are !

asus p5k primium (black perl)

4 gig of ocz pc 6400

xfx gtx 260

intel quadcore q6600 at 2.4ghz

asus xanar d2 7.1 sound card

1010w ocz gaming exstream psu

im not shore what my bios vershion is il check that out!

all i would like is some settings for me to try

at a speed of around 3.4ghz to 3.6ghz! if better that would be great

my cpu temps is low at 28dgz bein cooled with a 7 freezer pro connected strait to psu

help would be ace guys :)

set ur FSB to 400, your core v to 1.4, your nb volts to the highest it will go without changing color and your set . A 3.2 Ghz is guaranteed, any higher depends on your chip. If you wish to attempt that, set your Vcore to 1.5, then just keep on bumping the FSB until you become unstable

set ur FSB to 400, your core v to 1.4, your nb volts to the highest it will go without changing color and your set . A 3.2 Ghz is guaranteed, any higher depends on your chip. If you wish to attempt that, set your Vcore to 1.5, then just keep on bumping the FSB until you become unstable

Wow! Just go right to 400, huh? :wacko: I'm sorry, but this is just really bad advice. No overclock is guaranteed and anyone who tells you otherwise is suspect. Also, since this message is unclear about what multiplier to use, it's safe to say it will be interpreted as running at the stock 9 which makes 3.6. I can tell you right now that my Q6600 won't even BOOT at 400x9 with 1.4v in the BIOS. So there's a good chance that taking this advice will get you a quick trip to unbootable-land followed shortly by a hard CMOS reset, at which point you'll be right back where you started. It's also NOT a good idea to just crank voltages arbitrarily. Telling newbies to just turn everything up to max is in my opinion a horrible, horrible practice.

The way you should do this is the same way everyone else does it. You can't just go online and find the secret combination of settings and BAM!, you're overclocked. Each chip is different and you need to study yours and see what it's capable of. Don't just pick a speed and try to make it work. That's called 'shooting in the dark'. You have no idea what your chip needs to run that speed or if it even can at all. What you need to do is put everything back to stock. Set your memory ratio to 1:1, set your vDimm to the voltage your memory calls for, and start slowly upping the FSB 5mhz at a time. The Q6600 starts at 266FSB. So try 270. Then run stability tests. A half hour of OCCT should be fine here. If that passes, try 275 FSB and TEST AGAIN. If that passes, then 280... then 285. When it fails, STOP. Go into the BIOS and up the vCore a little bit (0.025v at most, would be my recommendation). Then try the same test that failed again. If it passes, move on to the next 5mhz increment. If it fails, try more voltage. Rinse + repeat as necessary. Monitor temps constantly throughout this process.

When you get to a point where more voltage doesn't make it stable, stop. If you get to a point where the temps get too high, stop. If you get to the point where your voltage is too high to go further (1.45-1.5v is where I'd start to think about stopping if you're on air, depending on how brave you are), stop. Once you get here, it's time to start doing longer tests and dialing in your FSB to be stable accordingly. The ultimate goal should be 24hrs stable in Prime95 or OCCT.

Using just these two settings and stopping where I said to above will get you VERY far and will also give you a lot of information about what your chip is capable of at every voltage you tried. (Documenting these results can really help too, if you're so inclined.) From this point, you can start asking for more advice on further settings to tweak to fine tune even further.