AMD overclock

Japonyx

Hi, I am new at this, I was wondering if any body could help me with overclocking my system?

I know my system can handle it.

CPU runs 18C on idle and 25C on Load

AMD athlon X2 6400+ Black editon

ASUS Crosshair 2 Formula

CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800mhz 2gb

SLI Geforce 8800 Ultra

ANTEC truepower 1000watt

costum Coolit Boreas liquid cooling

Edited by Japonyx

hello;

this should be fairly simple with a black edition cpu...

first and foremost...what cpu cooler (heatsink/fan) are you using? this is very, very important for overclocking a cpu. although, with a black edition cpu...that should be pretty much covered, as they don't seem to come with cpu coolers...as they are pretty much meant to be overclocked.

be sure you realize the implications when overclocking...nothing is guaranteed, and there are risks...you could fry your cpu, possibly motherboard too. and there are also probably other things that could happen, that may not be mentioned here...but it's something to think about.

if you wanna follow through, you should download these programs, if you don't already have them...

http://majorgeeks.com/OCCT_d5612.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

occt is a good temperature monitoring program and prime 95 is used to stress test the system to make sure it is stable under full load.

now...in order to overclock a black edition cpu, all that needs to be done is to go into the bios and change the multiplier...perhaps change the multiplier by one (no more than this at a time, and even .5 may be better)...then reboot and see if windows starts and lets you in.

if so...you should run occt and put it in the background...then get into prime 95 and run a torture test for about thirty minutes...make sure to keep an eye on occt and watch the temps...a cpu should never go above 70C on full load.

if your system doesn't blue screen, lock up, or anything else that indicates a failed overclock...and if you're still not satisfied with the results, you could then perhaps go back into bios after a reboot and change the multiplier again...perhaps by another one (this should never be done in large gaps, always small increments and then tested...you may need more voltage in order to get things to work when bumping up the multiplier more and more).

then reboot into windows, and follow the same procedure until you're either satisfied with the results or you get a blue screen, lock up, etc.

if you do get any of that problematic stuff, and you're not satisfied with your overclock...you will need to raise the voltage a bit in order to get more power to the cpu...as it should generally need more when clocked higher after a certain point. this should also be done in very small increments.

if you follow these simple steps, you should get a successful overclock after some trial and error...or maybe no trial and error, it just depends...there are no guarantees when overclocking.

assuming you get a successful overclock and get it to where you want it, you should then run a prime 95 torture test for atleast 12 full hours to check for stability.

this is just a rough idea of how to go about overclocking, but should get you started.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer