Having Problems With Overclocking An E8400

elysium

hello, this is my first time posting on occ. i hope you guys can help me out with a problem i'm having.

specs:

cpu - e8400 e0 revision w/ arctic cooler 7 cpu fan

mobo - evga nvidia 750i ftw

memory - ocz reaper 2x2gig pc8500 1066

video card - evga geforce gtx 260 216 core superclocked

ok so in the bios, i unlinked the fsb & memory speeds and i made fsb 1600 at X9 cpu multiplier to get my cpu freq to 3600 mhz. my ram initially runs @ 800 so i made it 1066 with timings of 5-5-5-18.

that's what's listed on newegg for the timings.

i changed the voltages to:

cpu core 1.275v [ default 1.25v ]

cpu fsb 1.15v [ default 1.10v ]

memory 2.1v [ default 1.9v ]

nforce spp 1.4v [ default 1.30v ]

nf200 1.25v [ default 1.2v ]

it ran stable for 8 hrs with orthos. ran stable with occt for 1 hr.

so the problem is this...

my bios / system properties in windows says my cpu is @ 3.6ghz.. however my CPU-Z and OCCT tell me that my cpu clock is @ 3.0 ghz still.. also my CPU-Z says my ram timings are @ 5-5-5-15 444 mhz instead of 5-5-5-18 553 mhz [ which it should be ]

even at full load with c1e and speedstep disabled in bios... my cpu-z cpu clock does not go to 3.6 ghz. in realtemp however, it lists my cpu speed @ 3.6 ghz for around 5 seconds then goes down to 3.0 ghz.

i have no idea what is going on. please help!

i've tried many things, and no matter what i do it just doesn't work.

also initially i tried to get the cpu to 3.825 ghz but whenever my windows boots up, 10 seconds in my computer freezes.

ugh i'm just overall an overclocking noob. this is my first attempt at it with this brand new machine and i just can't seem to get it to work no matter how many guides i read and etc.

Edited by elysium

the cpuz problem you are running into is due to the fact that you still have all of your cpu features enabled...

22_thumb.jpg

disable c1e support, max cpuid value limit, cpu tm function, etc...all of those need to be turned off and everything will show up perfect in windows...the speed step is what is messing with cpu-z though...

what is your voltages at 3.825? I was running 1.4v 4GHz, try a little higher than that if you are brave, maybe 1.45v, move your NB volts a little bit as well, anything around 4GB add a lot of stress to the NB

check out the Socket 775 overclocking competition, there is a link in my sig...some impressive clocks in there :)

any other questions man, just holler at me or anyone else on here

Welcome to OCC! hope you enjoy your stay

all the cpu features are disabled ]= windows shows 3.6 but cpu-z / occt doesn't. makes it all the more confusing to me.

out of all the solutions to this i've read that is the way to do it but.. i did it and nothing changed.

post a screenshot of your cpuz, it may be out dated...or try and validate it and show me what that link is...

what are your exact settings you changed in the bios for the multi and for the FSB, did you leave things on auto or are they all changed manually?

screen shot of cpuz and windows where you are reading it saying 3800MHz will be helpful for helping me decide what you have

good luck man

82224537ff1.th.jpg

i just decided to show all the programs i have to do this oc stuff in the screenshot.

cpu-z is up to date, version 1.49

this other program rightmark cpu utility displays 3.6 ghz like the windows system properties.

the exact settings are cpu fsb mhz 1600. memory 1066. timings 5-5-5-18.

voltages i changed a little since the last post but still no resolution in what is going on with the clock speeds.

cpu core - 1.3v

cpu fsb - 1.20v

memory - 2.1v

nforce spp - 1.45v

nf200 - 1.25v

c1e and eist are both disabled. cpu multiplier is @ 9x and stays @ 9x.

full load the cpu clock according to cpu-z + occt does not go above 3.0 ghz.. also all settings are manual. no auto

Edited by elysium

anyone have any idea what's going on here? the picture shows the computer @ full load but it's still 3.0 ghz on occt/cpu-z/realtemp but 3.6 ghz on rightmark / windows system properties / also i checked orthos and it's 3.6 ghz on that one too.

i figured it out. my nvidia system monitor apparently had cpu clock and memory timing settings on it and apparently it can override my bios settings.. all in all went crazy over a program doing stupid stuff.

now i just need some advice on voltages for a 3.6 ghz OC

Depending on how good your E8400 is it should do 3.6ghz at no more than 1.32vcore. Start at stock voltages and then start bumping her up a little bit at a time until you're stable. My E8400 will do 4.0ghz (water cooled) 24/7 @ 1.34 vcore and when I first got it (several months ago now) it would pass 8 hours of Orthos and Dual Prime @ 1.30 vcore.