Air Cooling Question

politbureau

This is going to sound a bit silly... but I haven't used air cooling for roughly half a decade now. However I'm in the process of testing a new system for my Mom for Christmas, and I'm curious about what I can expect from a top tier air cooler when overclocking.

Aside from recently building a computer for a good mate with a TRUE (the acronym for which, incidentally, I had to look up since I had no idea what it meant when seeing it here in the forums some time back), I've been watercooling forever, and haven't stayed current with the reviews.

So brass tacks then: I've got a TRUE on this Q6600 G0, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me if the temperatures I'm getting are average or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm not generally in the habit of seeing temperatures break even the 40 degree mark on my watercooling setup, let alone hit mid-50s, so I'm just looking for some reassurance.

I've done a simple Bsel to push the chip to 333MHz, left voltage at auto, and enabled speedstep since I won't be overclocking to keep things cool. I've outfitted the TRUE with a Noctua 120mm fan in a pull configuration.

Temps

VID = 1.275v (stock)

Ambient temperature = 26 degrees C

Max temp after 30 minute idle (333x6=2000MHz) = 33 degrees C

Max temp after 30 minute load (333x9=3000MHz) = 54 degrees C

Does sound right? Thanks for all your help ;)

sounds a little high to me...

I have a Q6700 with a Zalman 9700cnps nt on low at 300x10 at 1.300v and I see idle temps of 32c on all core (34c on windows core) and a full load temp of 45c after 4 hours of Orthos...

thats with the same 26c temps as you....

hope that helps..

I have a Q6700 with a Zalman 9700cnps nt on low at 300x10 at 1.300v and I see idle temps of 32c on all core (34c on windows core) and a full load temp of 45c after 4 hours of Orthos...

thats with the same 26c temps as you....

hope that helps..

That def helps. So idle temps are OK but load temps are about 10C high. If logic serves me, that sounds like TC application is fine, but maybe fan orientation or power is an issue? I have the Noctua running at 7V, so I'll crank it up to 12 and see what happens.

Cheers!

well it could be the TIM may be too thick for full load temps...?

I have been using the Zalman grease on everything just because it's in a nail polish container and thin and I can get it on so thing you can see through it and still check the contact patch...to see how straight the surfaces are...

you also could be showing signs of airflow condidtions...I would try turning fans around or changing the speeds to see what works and what doesnt....

when you get good airflow you dont need high speed fans...getting the air there is part of the battle...the fans job is to get rid of it...but it cant if it cant get air there like it should....

on my case (Raidmax Ice Cube) I use the stock config except I modded 2 92mm fans in the bottom floor of the case to cool the hard drives...I also swapped the rear case fan by the CPU heatsink as intake now...I use the PSU for all my exhaust...

this got me the 10C drop on full load...

my CPU temps do not change with the case closed or open...not even 1c..I left all three covers off for a 12hour run of Orthos and the case fully closed and re-ran another 12hour pass and temps across the whole PC where the same...

only time it ever jumps a tad is playing a game where the card gets hot...

well it could be the TIM may be too thick for full load temps...?
I wouldn't say that I'm an expert at applying TIM... but pretty damn close :) I typically test fit a heatsink 2-4 times before finalizing the attachment to get that perfect paper thin translucent layer of TIM. A system I used here, so I'm pretty sure thats not the issue.

you also could be showing signs of airflow condidtions...I would try turning fans around or changing the speeds to see what works and what doesnt....

when you get good airflow you dont need high speed fans...getting the air there is part of the battle...the fans job is to get rid of it...but it cant if it cant get air there like it should....

Temps I recorded are with the case naked, but they only change by 1 degree on idle and load with the sides on. I have it setup with a very small negative pressure bias, with the highest air volume exhausted directly from the socket area. There aren't any other heat sources in the case really (a mini P180), since the video card is passive and not for gaming.

I am testing it right with fan at 12v, since I think this is the issue - the S12-1200 at 7V only spins at 600RPM, so is putting out only 41m3/h, or about 24CFM by my calculations. This is probably not enough for the TRUE since the fins are fairly dense. Plus after plugging it in to full 12V, it is still essentially silent.

Load temps after only a few minutes are already much lower - it's peak at this point is 44C.

I'll keep playing and see what happens.