399 Fsb Wall? What Next

TimmyJames

Hi, i have an e6420 running on a ga-ep45-ds3l, and no matter what I do I cant break a 399FSB. I thought it was the ram (dd2-667 generic) but I have the ram at 1:1 (loose timings) and I even lowered the cpu multiplier to really stress the ram and all was well. The ram will go over 800, so it isnt that. All I can see is that I have hit a motherboard FSB wall? Any experience with these boards? Any way to get past this, or am I stuck here?

Also, I tried 401-415, and like 400 it wouldn't boot (although at 415 it would start to boot windows and then crash)

In BIOS did you disable: 1)CPU Enhanced Halt- C1E; and 2) CPU EIST Function?

They both have to be disabled. And any Gigabyte boards with "EP" in thier name... DON"T INSTALL THE DYNAMIC ENERGY SAVER SOFTWARE. It is an Achilles heal on Gigabyte boards that throws a wrench into Overclocking. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

In BIOS did you disable: 1)CPU Enhanced Halt- C1E; and 2) CPU EIST Function?

They both have to be disabled. And any Gigabyte boards with "EP" in thier name... DON"T INSTALL THE DYNAMIC ENERGY SAVER SOFTWARE. It is an Achilles heal on Gigabyte boards that throws a wrench into Overclocking. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

Hi thanks for the reply (and thanx to the post above you too). Yeah, I made sure to disable those two functions. I will double check if I installed that software. I don't so, but checking again won't hurt. So far what is happening is at 400 to about 413 I get nothing, no POST, nothing. I read about some people skipping 3.2Ghz and jumping right to 3.4 (that would be skipping 400 FSB to go to 420). I tried that and now I can actually get into windows, but then t crashes. I will check out that software (make sure I didn't install it) and I will read up on voltages too. Thanks again.

I tried that and now I can actually get into windows, but then t crashes. I will check out that software (make sure I didn't install it) and I will read up on voltages too. Thanks again.

When you get a blue screen (BSOD) does it say something like: "Can't reference" blah blah blah "memory" blah blah blah?

When you get a blue screen (BSOD) does it say something like: "Can't reference" blah blah blah "memory" blah blah blah?

I have only seen a blue screen one time, and it as on and off too fast for me to read anything. Usally, it either just shut off/restarts (that's when I dont even get a POST, or it loads windows all the way to the desktop then shuts down/restarts.

Now I'm just stabbing in the dark, but it could be your DDR2 667 that is causing these shutdowns/restarts... From what I remember it's best to have RAM rated at a good bit over 2 times your FSB...

Now I'm just stabbing in the dark, but it could be your DDR2 667 that is causing these shutdowns/restarts... From what I remember it's best to have RAM rated at a good bit over 2 times your FSB...

It very well could be, but I did really stress it out testing it. I lowered the CPU multiplier to keep the FSB/CPU speed low, but raise the RAM freq., and it did fine. I think my motherboard may have just hit it's wall :(

CCCCCHHHHEEEEEEEERRRRSSSS!!!!

Well, I was on stock voltage (1.35) so I figured it would be ok to up it to 1.4 and see where that would take me. I didnt have much time, but I booted and loaded into windows with my FSB@415 (3.3+ GHz) so that is nice. I had to go to work, but the weekend will be here soon, so I'll do more testing.