How Can I Make My Processor And Memory Timings Correct?

EliteHacker

This is my processor's settings:

3.6GHz

FSB=379

Multiplier=9.5

Voltages: 1.375, 1.375, 4.000

Memory settings:

7-7-7-20

1.7V

How can I make a 1:1 ratio with a 3.6GHz speed.

Manufacturer:

INTEL_

Processor:

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz Overclocked to 3.6GHz\Idle = 35-43\Max load = Core0 65C - Core1 68C

Memory:

4GB RAM OCZ Fatal1ty Gaming Edition

Hard Drive:

269 GB Total/Upgrading to 1.5TB in about 2 weeks.

Video Card:

NVIDIA 9800GTX(512MB)

Monitor:

SyncMaster T220HD(Digital)

Sound Card:

Speakers (SB Audigy)

Speakers/Headphones:

CA Speakers (4 speakers) With Subwoofer

Keyboard:

Logitech Cordless Desktop Ex110

Mouse:

Logitech

Mouse Surface:

table

Operating System:

Windows Vista

Edited by EliteHacker

This is my processor's settings:

3.6GHz

FSB=379

Multiplier=9.5

Voltages: 1.375, 1.375, 4.000

Memory settings:

7-7-7-20

1.7V

How can I make a 1:1 ratio with a 3.6GHz speed.

First off, I sincerely hope that's supposed to be 1.400v and not the 4v you've listed...because if so I'm surprised you even have a computer right now. :blink:

Secondly, it would help if you listed your system specs as listing a clock speed, an FSB, mutliplier, etc. doesn't really offer much insight to assist you and I'm unsure if you're using DDR2 or DDR3.

In any case, I'm going to assume that since the timings are 7-7-7-20 you're using DDR3-1066. A 1:1 ratio does have it's performance benefits, however, it also has limitations as once you reach a certain FSB your RAM becomes the limiting factor and you'll either have to crank an unnecessary amount of volts to the CPU, FSB, NB, or the RAM itself or you'll have to underclock so everything is synced with the other giving you stability. Not to mention half multipliers automatically places the FSB frequency and the RAM on dividers, I've never had any good luck with half multipliers, in fact I despise them. :ph34r:

However, if you want a 1:1 ratio I'd suggest you go into the BIOS and look through the RAM parameters and look for an option called DRAM Frequency Set (SPD) or the likes thereof, it goes by different names on almost every motherboard out there, but it should be accompanied by "SPD" and set the ratio to 1:1 (synchronous) and if it doesn't POST after doing that, you're probably going to have to use an even multiplier (9) and from there you'll need to tweak voltages and the FSB until you get it stabilized.

First off, I sincerely hope that's supposed to be 1.400v and not the 4v you've listed...because if so I'm surprised you even have a computer right now. :blink:

Secondly, it would help if you listed your system specs as listing a clock speed, an FSB, mutliplier, etc. doesn't really offer much insight to assist you and I'm unsure if you're using DDR2 or DDR3.

In any case, I'm going to assume that since the timings are 7-7-7-20 you're using DDR3-1066. A 1:1 ratio does have it's performance benefits, however, it also has limitations as once you reach a certain FSB your RAM becomes the limiting factor and you'll either have to crank an unnecessary amount of volts to the CPU, FSB, NB, or the RAM itself or you'll have to underclock so everything is synced with the other giving you stability. Not to mention half multipliers automatically places the FSB frequency and the RAM on dividers, I've never had any good luck with half multipliers, in fact I despise them. :ph34r:

However, if you want a 1:1 ratio I'd suggest you go into the BIOS and look through the RAM parameters and look for an option called DRAM Frequency Set (SPD) or the likes thereof, it goes by different names on almost every motherboard out there, but it should be accompanied by "SPD" and set the ratio to 1:1 (synchronous) and if it doesn't POST after doing that, you're probably going to have to use an even multiplier (9) and from there you'll need to tweak voltages and the FSB until you get it stabilized.

The board he's using is the same as mine, and it natively supports DDR3-1333, so I would assume that's what it is. I don't recall seeing a ratio for the DRAM frequency in the BIOS for this board. I do remember seeing a Memory Reference Frequency and I could choose from 200, 266, 333, and 400, but I just left it on 333 since that's what I have my processor running at and I don't really know a whole lot about what it does.

Sorry, I don't really know a whole lot about it and can't help much.

Edited by malmsteenisgod

The board he's using is the same as mine, and it natively supports DDR3-1333, so I would assume that's what it is. I don't recall seeing a ratio for the DRAM frequency in the BIOS for this board. I do remember seeing a Memory Reference Frequency and I could choose from 200, 266, 333, and 400, but I just left it on 333 since that's what I have my processor running at and I don't really know a whole lot about what it does.

Sorry, I don't really know a whole lot about it and can't help much.

You helped more than you think, the Memory Reference Frequency you refer to is the set divider, and the frequency he's looking for is 200MHz. 333 is 4:5 ratio, if I remember correctly.

You helped more than you think, the Memory Reference Frequency you refer to is the set divider, and the frequency he's looking for is 200MHz. 333 is 4:5 ratio, if I remember correctly.

I dont' quite understand how the Memory Reference Frequency (calling it MRF from now on) works. I assumed that since I have my Q6600 at 333x9 then I should set the MRF to 333. And if I wanted to overclock my Q6600 more to 400x# then I would set the MRF to 400. Is this correct?

If what I stated is correct, then unless his MRF shows something else because his multiplier has a half, then he can't get a 1:1 ratio unless he changes his CPU's FSB.

I'm just speculating here, based on what I assume the MRF actually is.

I dont' quite understand how the Memory Reference Frequency (calling it MRF from now on) works. I assumed that since I have my Q6600 at 333x9 then I should set the MRF to 333. And if I wanted to overclock my Q6600 more to 400x# then I would set the MRF to 400. Is this correct?

No. Raising the reference increases the memory speed - the opposite of what you want to be doing when cranking the FSB.

No. Raising the reference increases the memory speed - the opposite of what you want to be doing when cranking the FSB.

So you want to lower the reference as you raise the FSB? I have my FSB and memory frequency linked together, so I don't know how this works. Can you explain how it works?