Overclocking And Nb Temps

ok, so recently i got water cooling because i couldnt stay stable at 3.0Ghz on my q6600 on my maxorb, i started overclocking and got it to my previous best of 2.9Ghz, the temps were fine but as soon as i kick it up to 3.0Ghz, no matter what i do (voltage increase) it wont POSt properly and it will freeze at my BIOS screen

i had no clue what it was so i thought temps, maybe i didnt seat the water block right and i was re-adjusting i literally burnt the side of my hand on my Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4L's NB heatsink, i kept checking back with a fan blowing directly on it and it was still hot to the touch, it is so incredibly hot i can barely keep my finger on any part of the heat sink for longer than half a second

i have everest ultimate edition but it cant monitor NB temps, is there a way to check the temps of NB?

my 2nd question is, how much of a role does the NB take in overclocking and can an overheating NB cause freezes before windows boots?

if not, is there any other reason why i cant get to 3.0 on my q6600?

Yes NB temp will hold you back. Use PC Wizard (same folks who make cpu-z made this) to check the temp. It'll be called Processor temp or CPU temp not northbridge. You also might want to try lowering NB voltage. I was having problems hitting 4GHz until I lapped and applied artic silver 5 and a fan to my NB. Before I did that it was hitting 60-65c under load at stock clocking. Now it might hit 58 on a really hot day with OC. I'm not saying that you need to go as far as I did but you must consider the lack of airflow (unless you kept a couple fans) you have now that you're water cooled. You might even want to look at getting an active chipset cooler. All I know is that the goo they use as thermal paste on NB and SB isn't very effective and resembles salt water taffy. If nothing else try a good thermal compound and some airflow, but after you make sure there isn't too much voltage. Good luck. :typing:

Yes NB temp will hold you back. Use PC Wizard (same folks who make cpu-z made this) to check the temp. It'll be called Processor temp or CPU temp not northbridge. You also might want to try lowering NB voltage. I was having problems hitting 4GHz until I lapped and applied artic silver 5 and a fan to my NB. Before I did that it was hitting 60-65c under load at stock clocking. Now it might hit 58 on a really hot day with OC. I'm not saying that you need to go as far as I did but you must consider the lack of airflow (unless you kept a couple fans) you have now that you're water cooled. You might even want to look at getting an active chipset cooler. All I know is that the goo they use as thermal paste on NB and SB isn't very effective and resembles salt water taffy. If nothing else try a good thermal compound and some airflow, but after you make sure there isn't too much voltage. Good luck. :typing:

thanks for the advice, now that i know the NB temps could be the problem i ordered a NB waterblock from swiftech

ive got an NZXT tempest so my airflow should be good already, especially since i dont have my radiator mounted in a restricting way because this case is so great for WC setups

what rad are you using? what are your load temps on the CPU? how many volts are you running through the NB?

i just upgraded to a black ice eXtreme II, currently, in a 30-34c ambient environment i was 28-30 at idle and 38-40 under full load @ 2.9Ghz

I live in australia so most of the days since i got the WC setup it has been between 30 and 35 degrees inside the house

im not sure what voltage is running through my NB, i haver never changed it, it is auto controlled i believe