Newbie Oc Questions

mike_brie

Thanks for all the help. I am using RealTemp and I read it's more accurate than CoreTemp for multicore CPUs. My office is pretty hot -- about 85 today -- so that probably doesn't help!

Using the standard 333 FSB speed, my idle core temp was 33 and max temp was under 50. Even at 400FSB, max was under 60. So, it seems like my heatsink is working OK, and the heat is being generated by a seriously pumped up FSB, which I'll probably need to roll back a bit. I'll reserve re-seating the heatsink as a last resort, since I might introduce more problems than solutions by doing it :)

Edited by mike_brie

hmm, thats interesting. i'll admit that i've never seen a temp log for a quad core over 3.0GHz, but with the voltage you are using, that totally blows my mind. probably a rollback of your OC would be your best bet, but i'd hate to see your CPU running slower than it can.

oh one thing i had to mention was that Realtemp uses a tjmax (which is thermal shutdown temperature) of 95, made for the 8400 and series, whereas some of the other processors use either 100C or 105C as the tjmax, so i would suggest do some studying on what tjmax is for your processor and either set it in realtemp if you like that GUI or use another program already made with that tjmax in mind.