Pretty Sure I Have The Worst Luck Ever...

Ok, I was removing my new FZ120 to redo the thermal compound and lap my processor and the bracket that the cooler screws into on the under side of the motherboard broke just enough so I can't remove the last screw to get the damn thing off. The plastic part holding the threaded thing broke a bit so the metal threaded thing turns when I turn the screwdriver and I can't find something to hold it in place. I'm not sure what to do, maybe one of you guys can think of some McGyver solution, I'm so mad I'm just leaving my new machine apart and rock my old S478 rig til the problem gets solved or I buy a new e8400 and motherboard out of frustration :P

Yeah, I've got the motherboard unscrewed from the tray, out of the case. I did manage to get a couple pictures, but they were with my cell phone, if they aren't clear enough, I can try to get a mini USB cable to get my digital camera hooked up, lost that cable in the move I guess.

post-32584-1218228371_thumb.jpg post-32584-1218228466_thumb.jpg

Those are two parts of the mounting bracket, one of them just cracked right off, the other has that little piece broken off. The two other parts are fine.

Ok, I was removing my new FZ120 to redo the thermal compound and lap my processor and the bracket that the cooler screws into on the under side of the motherboard broke just enough so I can't remove the last screw to get the damn thing off. The plastic part holding the threaded thing broke a bit so the metal threaded thing turns when I turn the screwdriver and I can't find something to hold it in place. I'm not sure what to do, maybe one of you guys can think of some McGyver solution, I'm so mad I'm just leaving my new machine apart and rock my old S478 rig til the problem gets solved or I buy a new e8400 and motherboard out of frustration :P

Yea. Easy as 1,2,3 Go to local hardware store get the smallest reverse drill bit the have. Use a Hand t driver to slowly twist drill into place. Remember it is a reverse drill bit. Once it bits hold it and use screwdriver to remove.

Just talked to a friend of mine. He told me to tell you. Find a nut roughly the same size. super glue it to the bottom then hold with a wrench and unscrew it. Lot easier that using a reverse drill bit.

Edited by razorbck64

Yeah, I've got the motherboard unscrewed from the tray, out of the case. I did manage to get a couple pictures, but they were with my cell phone, if they aren't clear enough, I can try to get a mini USB cable to get my digital camera hooked up, lost that cable in the move I guess.

post-32584-1218228371_thumb.jpg post-32584-1218228466_thumb.jpg

Those are two parts of the mounting bracket, one of them just cracked right off, the other has that little piece broken off. The two other parts are fine.

Just talked to a friend of mine. He told me to tell you. Find a nut roughly the same size. super glue it to the bottom then hold with a wrench and unscrew it. Lot easier that using a reverse drill bit.

Ok, the rest of that first part actually broke off so I can get it off with some pliers once I dig those up. The real question is now what I should do to get the damn thing back on after lapping and stuff. I saw a backplate kit from Xigmatek, but I'm sure that won't work. Should I try to RMA the whole thing even if I only need the backplate?