New To Overclocking And Would Like To

Cuffss

Im completely new to overclocking so maybe i shouldnt do it but i cant help but try to push my comp up performance wise.

i am currently running with

mobo: Asus P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard

CPU: Intel

780i guide pretty much applies: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=77324

as does pwnzor's 680i guide, and nvidia's 680i overclocking guide...

just bear in mind that these guides use the Kentsfield 65nm quads as examples for the CPU voltage, so don't go as high as the guides state, as you have a Yorkfield that runs on lower voltages...

thank you both for those guides they are very in depth but in my bios there is a settng where i can configure the fsb clock speed . it starts at 1333 and i tried putting it to 1600 to increase the processor to 3.2 GHs but my comp wont even start up after i do that, am i doing something wrong or is it because i didn;t change the voltage . i didnt see any setting to increase it from 333 to 400 either.

I have only worked with a BIOS that adjusted a divider for ram speed. 2 for instance was 1 to 1 so when the cpu clock was raised, the ram clock was raised 1 to 1. If another divider was chosen the cpu clock would raise further than the ram with each adjustment. On that board the strap 333 etc. was not manually adjustable. Strap was an automatic calculation of the Northbridge.

Then I viewed a bios post on line that had a strap adjustment but I saw no ram divider adjustment in this BIOS. Did I just miss seeing it? Is there always a ram divider adjustment even when a strap adjustment is available? Or is this an either or offering in BIOS?

This would help both the OP and myself understand better. Alas I have too many computers at the moment and can not justify buying one of these fancy fellows with a strap adjustment, so hands on is out for now.

Edited by Syngensmyth

yeah i dont see anything in the bios about changing the ram ratio at all. ill post some pics in a little while so every can see what settings the bios offers to change. honestly i dont have the slightest clue what half of this stuff means lol. i really appreciate you guys taking some time out to help a nub though