Which Linux to use ?

Guest InFeKtioN_merged

My vote is for sidux. Its based on Debian which Ubuntu is also based on. It is more up to date than ubuntu and a heck of a lot faster. I started out on Ubuntu so Ubuntu is good for learning and has one of the largest community forums, but sidux isnt really any harder to learn. The main difference is sidux uses KDE and Ubuntu uses Gnome.

Guest InFeKtioN
My vote is for sidux. Its based on Debian which Ubuntu is also based on. It is more up to date than ubuntu and a heck of a lot faster. I started out on Ubuntu so Ubuntu is good for learning and has one of the largest community forums, but sidux isnt really any harder to learn. The main difference is sidux uses KDE and Ubuntu uses Gnome.

Nice .... I'll try that one also.

are you using that raid-0 with linux ur four drives on the nvraid?? you didnt run into troubles? also when I try and run ubuntu and fedora on my machine that has the 7800gt i need to quit X and install uipdated drivers before it will even boot. hmm you havent had any of these troubles?

which ubuntu version did you try? If you havent tried the newest 7.10 gutsy gibbon version, it has much better hardware detection and can install the nvidia drivers using the restricted driver manager that should pop up automatically after install. It detected both my old 7900gt and newer 8800gts. Ive never used fedora but on sidux there is a script that installs the latest driver called smxi along with new kernels and software updates.

Guest InFeKtioN
are you using that raid-0 with linux ur four drives on the nvraid?? you didnt run into troubles? also when I try and run ubuntu and fedora on my machine that has the 7800gt i need to quit X and install uipdated drivers before it will even boot. hmm you havent had any of these troubles?

No ... I actually have a different box for Linux.

Dell PowerEdge 300.

384M Ram

8G SCSI

On-Board Video

Pentium III 550Mhz x2