Won't load windows/cold boot issues

so basically for a while whenever i have my comp off for more than an hour it had issues starting. so i just never turned it off as a rule of thumb, i know bad idea. once i get it running it can restart no problem. Heres what happens, the loading bar to windows goes about half way, then i get BSOD and it restarts to the screen where it lets you pick between safe mode and last known configuration. So it usually takes 5-6 cycles for it to finally boot. however when i brought my comp home from college it just wont load, it has been going at it for about an hour. Ive messed around with voltages and reset cmos and what not but nothing seems to work, i am almost thinking my HD is going. Any suggestions?

so basically for a while whenever i have my comp off for more than an hour it had issues starting. so i just never turned it off as a rule of thumb, i know bad idea. once i get it running it can restart no problem. Heres what happens, the loading bar to windows goes about half way, then i get BSOD and it restarts to the screen where it lets you pick between safe mode and last known configuration. So it usually takes 5-6 cycles for it to finally boot. however when i brought my comp home from college it just wont load, it has been going at it for about an hour. Ive messed around with voltages and reset cmos and what not but nothing seems to work, i am almost thinking my HD is going. Any suggestions?

Yes, here is a link that I believe will help you:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=old_geekster

I posted this thread over a year ago. I had much the same problem with my then brand spanking new rig. I also had the exact PSU and OCZ memory. To make a long story short, I replaced both the memory and PSU. They were under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm now some really goofy stuff is going on. after reading that post i decided to try one stick of memory to see what would happen, with one stick it just beeps abnoxiously and doesnt really do anything, which tells me that stick is not working right. When I tried the other stick, it gets to the part right before the loading screen and i get a "Error loading the operating system" which never happened before. Usually it started loading and would just bsod and restart. And then i put both sticks in and i get the same error, i dont think i changed any other settings and im not sure why its doing this now but i think its safe to say one of my sticks is not working properly.

ok nvm about the error loading windows, i fixed that and now im back to square one. My initial thought on one of the memory sticks now proves to be false, it does the same thing with either of them, using the orange closest to the edge. Is there anything i can test before i just rma the memory, im not a fan of just shipping it out before im positive thats whats going on.

Have you tested the memory using the built in Memtest? It doesn't have to load Windows to work. Enable it in the BIOS, disable USB Keyboard/Mouse, and hook up a PS2 keyboard. You don't really need the keyboard, you can just let it run and power off the rig when you are done.