overclocking x2 6000+

This may be the lazy way out, but I've read lots of material and I'm still lost on overclocking my system beyond cranking up the bus frequency to 218, which gives me 2.28 gigahertz. I see people refer to memory timing settings, but when I see 2-2-2-6 or some such, I don't know which specific timings those numbers refer to. I thought I was getting somewhere with NTune. I ran the automatic system tuner and saw some interesting numbers, but when it finished running, nothing had changed. My memory timings were still the same. I had written down the timings listed on NTune, but drat it all, the RAS's, RCD's, and all the other letter codes didn't match up with what I was seeing in my BIOS. Does anybody have specific experience with the 6000+ and a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard? Or just some general advice?

Sorry, I meant 3.28 gigahertz.

If nothing else, can anybody tell me why when I ran NTune and it did all that playing around with memory settings, at the end it offered me no way to apply them? If I could get those settings applied, I think I'd be satisfied.

Guest r3d c0m3t

First off, welcome to the forums. :)

Secondly, it'd be helpful if you were to list your system specs.

As for the problem at hand, I've never dealt with nTune, but at the same time I wouldn't recommend overclocking from within Windows itself, namely because it could have dire consequences sooner or later. Overclocking from the BIOS is a much more enticing experience, yet it can be an impossible matter to most, for that I would recommend you take a look at our overclocking guide...

http://diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

That'll help you out a great deal.

For the other question, the 2-2-2-6 you refer to are the primary (first four) timings Tcl-Trcd-Tras-Trp. Any timings that follow are secondary, and while they're important, the primary timings set the stage, so to speak. When you venture into the BIOS, you'll have to set most of everything manually - voltages, memory timings, FSB speeds, etc...