Linux Works, But Windows Doesn't

BAShMaster

I have an AMD Duron 900, and simply, Linux runs great. In fact, I get 20% faster framerates in general under Linux than I do with Windows 98. And I'd be ok with the 20% defecit if I could still play my games for 4 hours or more. But since Windows 98 doesn't "idle" the CPU (calling the hlt instruction and everything) my Duron eventually overheats, resulting in my computer's safety interlocks cutting the power. This means, I could be in the middle of a shootdodge in a really heated battle in Max Payne, I haven't saved for a good half hour, and all of a sudden the screen goes black with a loud pop in my headphones, and the last thing I hear is the slowing wind of my CPU fan as the system bails in a blind panic. Yes, I have a heatsink and fan on top of my CPU, and no, the CPU doesn't overheat in Linux because Linux has CPU "idling" built right into the kernel :D . No, I can't get something better coolingwise without hitting up my already deeply in debt parents (which I avoid like the plague) and yes, I've tried CPU idling apps for Win98. heck, I've tried them all. All they accomplish is crashing my system every 20 seconds. I don't know who to blame. And heck no, I can't afford a different Windows and anyway, I play a lot of old games (e.g. System Shock 1, Carmageddon 1). I've read things online that my problems could be due to a defect in certain AMD CPUs, but I highly doubt it since I don't experience similar crashes in Linux. Who do I blame? Microsoft? ECS (they made my mobo, a K7VZM.1)? AMD? If it helps, when Linux boots, it complains that IRQ7 is "spurious". I gather this means that the IRQ is malfunctioning, but thankfully the whole system fell into place without that IRQ ever being used. Also, if it helps, I bought my CPU, fan, power supply (an L&C 300W), and case (very cheapo house brand, I think, not sure) as a preassembled "bare bones" kit. Sorry, I can't provide pics of the case. It's ugly, you don't want to see it. Anyway, I don't have a scanner or digital cam.

All the system specs you need are in the above paragraph.