slingbox

Guest Neezer_merged

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's through your local LAN, not the internet.

my understanding is that it would be through the internet....My objective is to put the box in my parents house in wisconsin....that way I can get the packer games while I am in wyoming.

Thanks guys for all of the great replys.

It's through your local LAN, not the internet.

It does both...but the whole reason for buying it is to stream your TV over the internet to wherever you are. Why would I buy it to watch TV on my computer at home when I can just turn the TV on..lol

It does both...but the whole reason for buying it is to stream your TV over the internet to wherever you are. Why would I buy it to watch TV on my computer at home when I can just turn the TV on..lol

That is what I thought....unless I am completely missing something....

Ok, I thought it was just for LAN. momoceio have you tried using it through the internet yet? How does it perform?

I would be satisfied if I could just stream video in my house, but it's a nice add on, given that it does actually work good.

Yes, when there are day baseball games I use it to watch baseball at work :D I get a really good stream but keep in mind I have a 1mb upload whereas most people have 384k or so. The box will automatically adjust for bandwidth though. Now, you're not going to get a high quality full screen stream but you can view 640 x 480 or around that pretty well. On the home network I get a really nice stream but I don't really have a need for it at home.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, when there are day baseball games I use it to watch baseball at work :D I get a really good stream but keep in mind I have a 1mb upload whereas most people have 384k or so. The box will automatically adjust for bandwidth though. Now, you're not going to get a high quality full screen stream but you can view 640 x 480 or around that pretty well. On the home network I get a really nice stream but I don't really have a need for it at home.
Ditto momo here. It's definitely a tool so you can watch live and pre-recorded streams from your personal cable box over the internet, not on the LAN.

The hardware will automatically throttle the compression to maintain the best possible quality over the connection you are using, but inevitably you are limited by your home ISPs upload speed. I am lucky to have an 18/2 connection here in Canada, so I have had great results. This is NOT a toy for those people on a slower DSL connection! 512k upload I would consider the absolute minimum to watch anything in reasonable quality.

Also bear in mind not everyone will have a use for a Slingbox. Some of you may never have the inclination to log into your box and watch content remotely. I work a lot off-site and travel for business, so this is a fantastic tool for me. The biggest advantage is being to log into the box and schedule my HDPVR to record certain programs remotely - this way if I forget to set the timer, I don't miss out.

Also, I would probably reccomend the Slingbox AV for 99% of users out there. Having the ability to capture HD streams is not particularly useful to most, as you won't be streaming a 16:9 HD stream over the internet. I got the pro primarily for its ability to control more than one device, a huge advantage since I have 2 PVRs.

Obviously those savvy enough can simply create a VPN endpoint on their LAN, and purchase a TV Tuner card and Sage/Myth to schedule recordings, then simply tunnel/FTP into their system to access the content. I use this method in addition to the Sling to access personal pictures and videos on my Server, but the Sling is simply a plug and play solution for those willing or able to invest the time and money into a homebuilt solution. It also controls an existing cable box, something my PC setup does not.

Cheers,

Cam

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone interested in getting 99% of what the sling offers in a software solution, check out Microsoft's Orb software, http://www.orb.com. Believe it or not, MS actually came out with a decent bit of code that uses minimal resources, has all the functionality of the sling, as is... wait for it... FREE!

You download a program on your PC that runs in the background, then log into your own web portal to access media files and pretty much any content on your computer. Orb will even let you watch live tv and schedule recordings if you pair it with a TV tuner card, and can access and control STBs with an IR blaster, if you have one. The web portal automatically runs a speed test from whatever connection you are accessing the portal from, so it will always give you maximum quality without stuttering or excessive buffering. It even lets you fix your upload speed from your home PC to fine tune the connection quality.

Overall a great piece of software that has now all but replaced my sling!

Cheers

Anyone interested in getting 99% of what the sling offers in a software solution, check out Microsoft's Orb software, http://www.orb.com. Believe it or not, MS actually came out with a decent bit of code that uses minimal resources, has all the functionality of the sling, as is... wait for it... FREE!

You download a program on your PC that runs in the background, then log into your own web portal to access media files and pretty much any content on your computer. Orb will even let you watch live tv and schedule recordings if you pair it with a TV tuner card, and can access and control STBs with an IR blaster, if you have one. The web portal automatically runs a speed test from whatever connection you are accessing the portal from, so it will always give you maximum quality without stuttering or excessive buffering. It even lets you fix your upload speed from your home PC to fine tune the connection quality.

Cheers

Sweet deal! Thanks for sharing that...I'll be using this when I get my HTPC setup.

Cheers

Got to check this out! Sounds very promising!

Ok, I've got it installed and am digging it so far. The ONLY thing I would like them to fix is the lack of LAN support. If I wanted to stream some videos of music of my desktop from my laptop, it goes back out to the internet then back in. Other than that, it's awesome. I was watching a movie at work today :)