Damaged Opteron 165? Please help, need some questions answered!

Kind of a long post, but please bear with me.

Ok so before I explain anything, let me say that this all started happening after I removed the IHS from my opteron 165. I underestimated how close the capacitors were to the edge of the IHS, and accidentally chipped the corners off of 3 of them :eek2:..

I installed the cpu back into my system anyways, and it seemed to work fine, and ran cooler as well. Everything was fine and dandy for about a week, when all of a sudden I started getting random, complete shutdowns (shutdowns as if I had unplugged the pc from the power outlet). They were completely random; sometimes it would occur when I was torture testing, sometimes when I was at idle on the desktop. My first thought was that it was probably the heatsink that was not mounted correctly or moving around, causing the cpu to overheat and shut down. I checked it and it was firmly seated, and my temps never shot up when I moved the hs around. My next thought was that it could be my power supply, since I have had to RMA it once before, after I started getting shutdowns and eventually a smoking psu. I decided to install my new OCZ 700w gamexstream psu that I had just bought for my next build.

For about a day after the new PSU was installed, I hadnt gotten any shutdowns. The next day though, I got another shutdown :confused:. So I still got random shutdowns, but they seemed to be more spaced out from each other. I decided to set my CPU back to stock volts, and lower the clock to 2.7ghz, even though I knew that my overclock was Prime stable before I removed the IHS. Nope..... didnt help...

So now im thinking that it is my cpu. I have my old 3700+ sand diego sitting around, and I want put it in my system and see if the shutdowns stop. Just one thing though; will I mess anything up if I switch the dual core with the single core? I have the dual-core optimizer installed, so I dont know..

Also, what else could it be besides the CPU, if anything? (what do you mean im in denial?!? lol)

Thanks for any advice.

what test did you do to clam stable? why don't you post your setting and let us take a look from what you said sounds like an unstable clock to me. I would think if the cpu booted up that its probably just some wrong settings. or could even be a bad OS install

what test did you do to clam stable? why don't you post your setting and let us take a look from what you said sounds like an unstable clock to me. I would think if the cpu booted up that its probably just some wrong settings. or could even be a bad OS install

Again, this all started happening after I removed the IHS. Before I removed it, I was dual prime stable for 8 hours @2.7 stock volts, and also 8 hours dual prime stable @ 2.835 1.48v. I assume that it should stay the same without the ihs though, since I did not change anything in the bios. I primed earlier today, and it went for 2 hours with no errors, so Im pretty sure it is still stable as before, but that there could just be something wrong with the cpu, thus causing random shutdowns. I want to switch out the cpu, put in my single core, and see if the shutdowns stop. Would I be able to do this though? Would I mess something up in windows?

Well, there is only one test! Take the OPTY and install it in a different system. If you fubared the CPU it will do the same thing in a different rig and you will save yourself a lot of time guessing around. :)

I just thought of something that MIGHT be causing the problem.The option for shutdown temp in the bios is around 75c. I am thinking it might be doing something screwy and shutting down the pc when it shouldnt (even though I know my core temps never get higher than low 60's). I disabled it from the bios, and Im gonna see if the problem persists. If it doesnt help, then ill try hitandrun's method.

Hmmmm... Disabled shutdown temp in bios, and problem seems to be gone :confused:; have not had a shutdown since. Thats weird though, cuz shutdown temp was around 75c, and my cpu never exceeds low 60's. Hopefully this was the problem and I wont get any more random shutdowns. If it starts happening again, Ill post back here. Thnx guys

• 3 weeks later...

well i thought i had same problem.. my cpu would idle at 29C on air with 2.7ghz stock voltages.. ran tons of tests and seemed stable.. ( 24 hours of 2xprime and 1xorthos all at once) load temps never get past 50C..

had a few unexpected shut downs recently ( all i did was add front 120mm fan and heatpipes on a few hd's and stuffed wires out of the way)

so i read your post bumped my ram up .1v more and disabled the shut down temp> ( not sure how dangerous this is)

thanks .. yes my post is pointless but wanted to share that seems to fix my issue as well..