Worth the upgrade from 120GB HD to 160GB?

djgizmo

Worth the upgrade from 120GB HD to 160GB?

I'm buying a dell laptop directly from dell. Offering a upgrade from a 120GB HD to 160 for $70.

Should I take the upgrade, or save the money for something else?

I'll be basically using this laptop as my dj / music production laptop. Won't be gaming with it too much. (maybe a lil)

thanks

Guest thespin

Definitely not worth it. I just bought an EXTERNAL SEAGATE 320GB hard drive from my local Tiger store for $99 (no rebate involved) - and the internal is cheaper.

Keep your money. If you ever need more disk space you will be able to buy 500GB (currently $129) for $70 down the road when you need it ...

In my opinion, I don't think it worth $70 for an additional 40GB upgrade, unless you really need the space. You can buy a brand new, additional 160GB internal laptop drive for $100 on newegg. Granted, there is not space for a 2nd hard drive in a laptop, but I am just making the point that for $70, it seems like a rip off. I'd recommend just buying a portable 120GB Western Digital Passport external USB drive to attach to your laptop for about $90. Just my $.02.

I'm going to try and be nice here, but Dell loves to lure you in with some decent prices on their laptops/desktops.

After they got you on their hook, they try to club you over the head with overpriced add-ons and upgrades.

$70 for 40GB upgrade is not worth it , even if you needed the extra space.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822144414

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822144415

If you can get a 120 GB drive for the same price as a 160 GB drive, and both are way under $70, there is no reason to have to pay $70 more for a 160 as opposed to a 120. I understand that laptop drives are going to be more expensive but not to this degree.

There's little reason to pay $70 for a $60 drive, let alone $70 more than a 120.

You can fit a ton of music on a 120 GB hard drive. For the longest time all I had was a 120 and a 40 for the OS. I got by. The only reason I added 1 TB to that was because of video, and I still have all my music on the 120.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822144414

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822144415

If you can get a 120 GB drive for the same price as a 160 GB drive, and both are way under $70, there is no reason to have to pay $70 more for a 160 as opposed to a 120. I understand that laptop drives are going to be more expensive but not to this degree.

There's little reason to pay $70 for a $60 drive, let alone $70 more than a 120.

You can fit a ton of music on a 120 GB hard drive. For the longest time all I had was a 120 and a 40 for the OS. I got by. The only reason I added 1 TB to that was because of video, and I still have all my music on the 120.

Too bad you didn't read the thread. I said I was buying a LAPTOP! not a desktop.

but I get everyones point. Thanks for the info folks. Saved myself $70

Too bad you didn't read the thread. I said I was buying a LAPTOP! not a desktop.

but I get everyones point. Thanks for the info folks. Saved myself $70

Too bad you didn't read my post, I said "I understand that laptop drives are going to be more expensive but not to this degree."

:shake:

I just listed the other hard drives not to suggest you purchase either one but to show the market value of these low capacity storage devices. Spending $70 more for something that doesn't cost $70 to begin with is bogus.

My main advice however was that 120 GB is more than enough for music. I don't think you'd live long enough to listen to all the music you'd have if you filled it. ;)

I just listed the other hard drives not to suggest you purchase either one but to show the market value of these low capacity storage devices. Spending $70 more for something that doesn't cost $70 to begin with is bogus.

My main advice however was that 120 GB is more than enough for music. I don't think you'd live long enough to listen to all the music you'd have if you filled it. ;)

Good call, sorry about that though. lol, I listened to you all. I saved my $70 and put it towards an extended life battery for $49