2GB Geil PC3200 "Error Loading OS"

Hey all,

I'm upgrading my 1GB OCZ "Value" Winbond memory currently in my Ultra-D to 2GB Geil PC3200 with timings of 3-8-4-4. The OCZ has been running fine, after some initial settings from Andy, but this new Geil memory refuses to work.

One stick or 2 in the orange slots gives me the "error loading os" message on the post screen, after it says "CMOS updated successfully". I load optomised defaults etc in Bios, do I have to manually clear CMOS before adding the new RAM?. I'm not sure of that point. I did an inital Memtest run from BIOS and both sticks seem fine on a short run through. I know the new Geil ram is classed as "value" but so is my current OCZ stuff, so that shouldn't be the problem. (Or with DFI, anything is possible so who knows). Any guidance gratefully recieved,

Regards

Ray

Yep, definatley 3-8-4-4. After thinking about it, I didn't clear CMOS, just took out the OCZ, plonked in the Geil, loaded optomised settings and then no go. I thought clearing CMOS was only needed after a BIOS change, but I guess a memory swap requires this step as well. I'll try that tonight and see what happens.

Hoo Roo

Ray

I stand corrected School, the label for this memory says it is 3-8-4-4, as does the Geil site. CPU-Z gives the true timing as 3-4-4-8, probably more like it.

Anyway, I found Angry had on the Stock Speed Database a DFI RDX-200 board running the same memory. I just copied the timings, and it booted first go. I'm happy now! :) . I'll leave things as they are for a while and give the timings a little push, should be able to get a bit more speed from these modules.

Hoo Roo