New Memory Just Arrived

My new memory arrived this afternoon. (it's in my sig) Just wanted to say that right off the bat it seems pretty fast. I did change to the "Aggresive" setting in the bios setup. I think the default for that is 5-2-2-2. Anyway, it's been a while since I have messed around with the multipliers and vdd so I am looking for any help if you would like to play together on this. I am kind of interested to see what it will do but I would like to ease into it.

This is what I have ended up with so far. I will mess with it more tomorrow.

Edited by FM53

i always run my ram @2.8vdimm that mushy can handle more :P but thats the highest the aus lets you use . also for the best perfromance i would set the ram timing yoursself and do cas2 2-2-10 or 11 . use sisoft sandra and see wich one gives you the best mem scores try 10 and 11 after 11 it usally starts to drop off . for some odd reason the nf2 boards liek the 11 cas to ras (i think its cas to ras but can rem) so change that 5 to 10 or 11. also go with as high a fsb you can most asus a7n8x dlx do 210fsb no problem some go higher i have had mine up to 230fsb and it was stable but im using better cooling on the n/b chip

Edited by fanATIc1205

Thanks for the feedback fanATIc1205. I raised the FSB to 202 but I would experience freezing up, hanging up and crashes. I raised the voltage on the ram and cpu but it didn't help. I tried different bios upgrades also. Must be a bottleneck somewhere but not sure where to look but I will keep on trying. I am all ears.

I haven't had the FSB up past 188/190 before now. I did lower the multiplier settings to 10 or lower to see how far I could push the FSB and the best I could manage out of it was 206 before I started having problems. I will play with it some more and maybe let it acclimate to these settings before I get to demanding.

Just for an idea of what I have for settings:

CPU @ 204MHz x 12.0x = 2448MHz

2-2-2-11

CPU 1.775V

DDR 2.9V

AGP 1.5V

Chip +1.7V

Open for suggestions

Edited by FM53

you using the uber bios to get higher vdimm? what version is your asus rev1.xx or rev2.0 if its a earlye rev 1.04 or 1.06 your doing go just to get 200fsb the newer rev2.0 uses the ultra chipset wich basically uses more n/b voltage to get over the 200fsb hump . i had nothing but problems with the uber bios and the extra voltages dont actually work it just shows them in the bios

It's Rev 1.04 and yes, I am using the uber bios. A friend of mine owns a computer business and I had first dibs on the first release. What would you suggest? Just live with it or buy the Rev. 2.0 board?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by FM53

well i would flash it to the latest bios from asus . it has suport for 200fsb and past . maybe you could get the bios death syndrom to happen to you and rma it :rolleyes: . if you got it from newegg rma it back AND GET A REV2.0. or get the abit an7 or nf7s if you reaqlly want to oc the crap outa your chip. so as it stands that rev board is whats holding you back

On the muskin level 2 3500's the default for nforce boards like the ASUS is 2-2-2-6 not 2-2-2-5. You will notice it right away when you set your ram by spd. Even though I have mine running at aggressive settings and at 100% on my ram-not by SPD. Maybe that will help before you RMA the board. PS I'm still running mine at 2-2-2-6 at 2.6v default.

With those mushkin 2's you could run it a stock to 205mhz with uping the voltage--Those BH-5's are great. As for MB- I would look at NF7-s v2.0 or Even the Epox 8rda+'s if you could still find them. Unfortunately the Asus A7N8X deluxe's cpu voltage restriction will put a hamper on massive overclocks. As well as Multiplier restrictions as well.

Look here:

http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/Barton/

Edited by smithy