What's Best Chipset Drivers for nF3 250(754)?

This is the only nVidia board I have, and the first motherboard that I know I have no choice but to use only one version of drivers (5.10) or I'll have problems. If it's not the ethernet it's the IDE driver. Drivers are poor, and you'd expect a wider range of available 100% stable drivers. It's not my experience only, but all the LP3 250Gb's owners. I don't have 4 computers, just this one and I use it 24/7, so my concern for drivers and stability should be founded, right?

Maybe the drivers aren't the best, but, I'll tell you what. Ain't no chipset out there as solid and respected as the NF3 and NF4 from what I've seen.

As stated by many, the 5.10 work well, as long as you don't load the Network stuff, and only use the IDE driver if you're using RAID. As you don't need them anyway, why worry that there's only one set of drivers? If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read my posts, you'll see that the version I always recommend is 5.10, and the one I use for a long time. 5.10 have no network issues, as I use the network driver too. BUT you just have to disable "checksum offload" in the options for them to work, and this is one of the things I'm talking about too. How do they ship a driver with certain option ON by default if said option breaks functionality?. There's lots of little things that bug you out, and subsequent versions of the drivers do not fix them, but make them worse (Windows couldn't boot with xx driver installed). Nvidia should issue a final driver version that has no errors whatsoever, because yeah, the thing should work at least, right?

I recall some past threads (...somewhere on the net...) regarding bad network controllers on these boards and people had network controllers that simply died on them. That said....I use the 5.10 and trying anything else frags my system...actually I still get hard windows crashes (x64) when messing the the current internet connection in the control panel sometimes....I'd like to try the remix drivers though and see what happens. My feeling is that no matter what drivers you try, some of these boards have deep design flaws that may not be solved but partially remedied with the best set of drivers. I don't ever install the SW IDE driver but I think the IDE drivers are installed BY Windows, and are labled Nvidia 250 etc. IIRC You don't have to explicity install IDE drivers do you? It's been a while...and I do remember claims to the effect that Nvidia IDE drivers could corrupt data but I was thinking that was just SW IDE stuff to blame.

DC

so far, the SW IDE driver haz been nothing other then buggy. weather itz hardwear or the driver itzself, always safer to Never install the SW IDE's. the Micro$ux standard IDE driver seems to do fine. unless someone come's up with better reports of a newer driver. it's safer to just not install it.

Thank You Very Much for Shareing :)

This is the only nVidia board I have, and the first motherboard that I know I have no choice but to use only one version of drivers (5.10) or I'll have problems. If it's not the ethernet it's the IDE driver. Drivers are poor, and you'd expect a wider range of available 100% stable drivers. It's not my experience only, but all the LP3 250Gb's owners. I don't have 4 computers, just this one and I use it 24/7, so my concern for drivers and stability should be founded, right?

i Totally hear ya on that one! my main rig has the same chipset yet differnt manufacture. out of respect for DFI, i wont plug other other companies here. i use the 9.34 remix on x86 & 9.35 on x64. they work magic for that bord. funny thing iz, the 5.10's ran terrible with that bord. somewhere there was some kind of improvement. what it iz, i have no idea.

i run my 250 for a year and a half 24/7 mad dog clocked never ever had a problem with the 510 drivers just dont install the drivers for raid if your not useing raid and dont install the sw ide driver do not use the net work install or the fire wall software

i'll never forget the first time i install that nvidia 'Apache' firewall softwear. boy wuz thata' mistake... man o man:rolleyes:

lol yeah I missed all that fun as I had allready had my board and cpu maxed clocked before I ever seen the board. meaning I had done my home work good But it did take me 3 months to go from 8X338 to 8X345

If you read my posts, you'll see that the version I always recommend is 5.10, and the one I use for a long time. 5.10 have no network issues, as I use the network driver too. BUT you just have to disable "checksum offload" in the options for them to work, and this is one of the things I'm talking about too. How do they ship a driver with certain option ON by default if said option breaks functionality?. There's lots of little things that bug you out, and subsequent versions of the drivers do not fix them, but make them worse (Windows couldn't boot with xx driver installed). Nvidia should issue a final driver version that has no errors whatsoever, because yeah, the thing should work at least, right?

i Agree & believe EVERY COMAPANY(nvidia, ATI, 3dFX, ect.) should develop the Fastest/Best drivers for EACH Product(Indavidually). it would save ALOT of pian in the long run.

lol yeah I missed all that fun as I had allready had my board and cpu maxed clocked before I ever seen the board. meaning I had done my home work good But it did take me 3 months to go from 8X338 to 8X345

ROTFL!!!! Very WELL DONE MAN!!!:nod:

on both parts LOL!!!!!:P