RAID-0 setup

I read the RAID guide but I dont have SP2 slipstreamed with my XP and I would like touse my original disc anyways, so I usually use Seagate Tools to partition a small XP drive like 16GB or so and then create the rest once I'm in Windows and SP2 is up and running.

If I RAID-0 2x 7200.10s, how do I create a small partition? I guess I could use Windows installation, but would Seagate's tools be able to do the trick or would it not have RAID drivers to recognize the drives as 1 device?

Finally...

My setup is as follows:

1) Raptor 74 GB ADFD

2) 2x 7200.10s in RAID-0

Raptor is my OS drive, but if I reformat it one day and reinstall Windows, what happens to the 2x7200.10s? Do I need to install drivers for Windows to recognize it?

I was told to just setup Windows as normal, and then once I'm inside Windows, install the RAID drivers and the array will show up... Question is how will I install drivers? Are there drivers that are to be installed in Windows? The only drivers I'm familiar with is the ones on DFI's site/RAID floppy designed so you press F6 when you boot up..

Can someone help me out? Config is in my sig, so these drives will all be plugged into the NF4 SATA ports...

I have the same Hdd as you but i dont have the 3rd raptor, my hdd are set up as raid0.

Hmm its a bit confusing what you are asking okay here we go start from the start....

Why use the original disc, slipstream sp2 its a lot easier than updating to sp2 after windows installs if that is what you do. Its not hard to slipstream, in fact its very easy if you use Nlite etc. The bonus being if you use that then you can slipstream the nvraid drivers as well.

If you raid0 the 7200.10 then use a 3rd party proggy like partition magic 8.5 to set your partitions and format. It will recognise your raid array.

If i were you i would.........

1. Slipstream SP2 and nvraid driver using Nlite.

2. Back up all my data.

3. Pull my Raptor.

4. Set up Raid0 stripe on 7200.10.

5. Partition and format using PM8.5

6. Install windows.

7. Plug back in the Raptor and format it to use as spare storage or whatever......

Along those lines anyway......

Which driver well the one from dfi site is older, but is said to have worked, it didnt for me so i slipstreamed the newest 6.86 from nvidia site you can find the driver in the IDE/XP/legacy folder of that pack.

Hope you figure out which road you wanna take dude.

Later. ;)

I have the same Hdd as you but i dont have the 3rd raptor, my hdd are set up as raid0.

Hmm its a bit confusing what you are asking okay here we go start from the start....

Why use the original disc, slipstream sp2 its a lot easier than updating to sp2 after windows installs if that is what you do. Its not hard to slipstream, in fact its very easy if you use Nlite etc. The bonus being if you use that then you can slipstream the nvraid drivers as well.

If you raid0 the 7200.10 then use a 3rd party proggy like partition magic 8.5 to set your partitions and format. It will recognise your raid array.

If i were you i would.........

1. Slipstream SP2 and nvraid driver using Nlite.

2. Back up all my data.

3. Pull my Raptor.

4. Set up Raid0 stripe on 7200.10.

5. Partition and format using PM8.5

6. Install windows.

7. Plug back in the Raptor and format it to use as spare storage or whatever......

Along those lines anyway......

Which driver well the one from dfi site is older, but is said to have worked, it didnt for me so i slipstreamed the newest 6.86 from nvidia site you can find the driver in the IDE/XP/legacy folder of that pack.

Hope you figure out which road you wanna take dude.

Later. ;)

Gotcha but which do I slipstream? Looks like you used Legacy

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140&st=0

Should I be using SATARAID or Legacy? Iwas about to start SATARAid slipstreamming.. dunno

One other question.... Aren't the ports on the Ultra-D linked in pairs? So like 0 & 1 and then 2 & 3 are either RAID or NON-RAID? I'm not sure where to plug my 4 drives

1) Raptor

2) 7200.10

3) 7200.10

4) 7200.9

I want to raid-0 drives #2 and #3

If you use Nlite when you choose drivers then choose single driver navigate to the legacy folder and select either of the drivers, BOTH will be slipstreamed you need BOTH drivers.

Do NOT use any of the other drivers only the ones in the legacy folder.......okay dude:)

1-2 = 7200.10

3-4 = the other 2 hdd

or the other way around up too you, i think they say that if your ocing then 3-4 are best for the main hdd's but seeing as your using 4 hdd i guess its much and such ;)

Ps when you get the 7200.10 raid0'ed wait till you see how fast they are, "SWEET" wicked fast.

No you have sata 2 drives so use them dude, the sil controller does not support sata 2, use the nvraid.

If you use Nlite when you choose drivers then choose single driver navigate to the legacy folder and select either of the drivers, BOTH will be slipstreamed you need BOTH drivers.

Do NOT use any of the other drivers only the ones in the legacy folder.......okay dude:)

Gotcha tahnks.... I have an Ultra-D, so I ONLY have NVRaid. My question was which ports I need to plug my drives into because I heard certain ones operate together and when u use RAID-0, you should have the drives on certain ones and non-RAIDed drives on certain ports... Thanks a lot!

Gotcha but which do I slipstream? Looks like you used Legacy

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140&st=0

Should I be using SATARAID or Legacy? Iwas about to start SATARAid slipstreamming.. dunno

dmo580, I just worked through this (SATARAID) last nite, works like a charm and probably will never go back to using F6 method. Suggest you use the "Brand New Method" with the WHQL (6.86) certified drivers. One problem I did have though is I used the new beta version of nLite, and things did not work out. Suggest you use the 1.0.1 version, I think it is more stable.

One other question.... Aren't the ports on the Ultra-D linked in pairs? So like 0 & 1 and then 2 & 3 are either RAID or NON-RAID? I'm not sure where to plug my 4 drives

1) Raptor

2) 7200.10

3) 7200.10

4) 7200.9

I want to raid-0 drives #2 and #3

I have #1 and #2, Raptor and 7200.x non-RAID

#3 and #4 are my RAID0 array. Works fine for me.

dmo580, I just worked through this (SATARAID) last nite, works like a charm and probably will never go back to using F6 method. Suggest you use the "Brand New Method" with the WHQL (6.86) certified drivers. One problem I did have though is I used the new beta version of nLite, and things did not work out. Suggest you use the 1.0.1 version, I think it is more stable.

I have #1 and #2, Raptor and 7200.x non-RAID

#3 and #4 are my RAID0 array. Works fine for me.

Thanks! I think I'm set. When I read the previous response telling me to use the LEGACY method, I was already burning the slipstream with SATARAID. Glad to know you did it that way... although I used the latest version of nLite. Are you saying it's unstable as in the program crashes or as in it produces bad Windows ISOs? I already burned mine, so should I worry about this being a possibly bad disc and needing to re-slipstream or should I be fine as long as my nLite didn't hiccup on me?

I'm about to go pickup my 7200.10 drive from UPS and once I do I get to start ^^. I haven't been this worried since I built my system.

Thanks! I think I'm set. When I read the previous response telling me to use the LEGACY method, I was already burning the slipstream with SATARAID. Glad to know you did it that way... although I used the latest version of nLite. Are you saying it's unstable as in the program crashes or as in it produces bad Windows ISOs? I already burned mine, so should I worry about this being a possibly bad disc and needing to re-slipstream or should I be fine as long as my nLite didn't hiccup on me?

I'm about to go pickup my 7200.10 drive from UPS and once I do I get to start ^^. I haven't been this worried since I built my system.

Dude apoligise about the Sil mistake, just to make clear I was unsure which method you were going to take ie F6 or Nlite so that is why i mentioned abouy the legacy folder, no matter now you got the guide and you know where your going so cool, OH and I also used the 1.1 verison of Nlite.

Gluck to you, hope to see ya racin soon ;)