Help with cutting fan holes

what i meant is that it is very sad that I am 31 years old and am at home cutting holes in computer cases when I should be out looking for a job! Oh well, what can ya do?!

Anyhow, I finished hole numero uno, and I must say it turned out better than I expected. My first case mod ever... :P The hole is far from a perfect circle, but the cheesy dragon fan grill I bought at the local computer store covers up my imperfections good enough for me. I may look into buying a 3" hole saw for the next hole(s) I make. I think I'll put one just to the right of the Zalman, which should hit the PWMIC and chipset areas directly.

I am very happy to say it was well worth the effort, it dropped my video card temp around 10°C, and seems to have even lowered the PWMIC/Chipset temps a few degrees as well. The beauty of it is that I can't even hear the thing running, this is a very quiet setup I have now between the Seasonic power supply, Zalman cpu fan, and all my case fans running low, its about as quiet as you can get - I'm pretty stoked. The one thing I still have to do is get some filters, probably from that SVC place that Kandoo recommended in one of the earlier posts. After I get those, I think I'll be all set!

Thanks again for all the tips, putting tape around the cut definitely saved me when I slipped once! I will be sure to post pics after I finished the other fan, and get the cables cleaned up, that sure can make a case look sh**ty!

Anyhow, here is a picture of the installed fan as it stands now...

IMG_2753A.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use an old car speaker grill to keep the dust out, just cut it slightly bigger than the fan hole and sandwich it inbetween the fan and the plexi glass, or the fan grill and the plexi glass.

Clean those wires, ugh.

DSCF1734.jpg

Bravo on the mod mate. con-grats, u can also use a wire mesh screen, the kind they use on windows, or panty hose. just mount it between the fan housing and the plexiglass, and the guard goes in front to hide the edges! Now get out and find a job, may i suggest Home-Depot....your qualified now :nod: