OK, it's time to start OC'ing! I have a Question!

Remember, please, this is a question from someone who has been reading everything possible on OC'ing and trying to put it all into perspective. I'm the ultimate noob when it comes to OC'ing. :confused:

I found this article on OCZ's tech site that has me wondering:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....973&postcount=4

I have already OC'd my proc to 2.64, which has passed MemTest86, SuperPI and Prime95. I am using stock voltages and memory timings at this point. Basically the only thing that I have changed is the HTT and LDT.

My question is this: Does it matter how I arrive at the proc speed?

Now, I have FSB Bus Frequency at 220; CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio at 12 and LDT/FSB Frequency at 4. Of course this has my HTT at 1728. This is considerably under 2000 and my memory is only running at 220 (Stock is 250).

So, can I set the FSB Bus Frequency to 250; CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio to 10.5 or 11; and leave the LDT/FSB Frequency at 4? This would give me a proc speed of 2.63 or 2.75 and HTT of 2000.

I would change voltages as necessary, also.

My question is this: Does it matter how I arrive at the proc speed?

Short answer, no. The HTT speed has no influence on anthing really, all that REALLY matters is your CPU speed, and of course whatever you can get out of your ram as well.

Long answer, it depends on how serious you are about overclocking. If you absolutely want the very last tiny infinetismal bit of performance out of your system, you need to try EVERYTHING. It may turn out that have an HTT speed of 1900 is ever so slightly faster than that at 2000 with the same settings for everything else. It could vary system to system, hell it might even vary with how humid it is.

But in my case, I'm simple. I just go for my max CPU overclock and then tweak my ram to usable settings and call it a day. :)

By the way, don't use .5 multipliers. :shake:

Thanks, technodanvan!

I realized after I had sent the message that I should not have used a .5, but didn't change it. I read in Thunda's "Ultimate OC'ing guide" not to use tenths.

Your reply brings up another question. Then what you are saying is, the HTT of 1728 is not significant. Correct?

I know that the CPU speed is ALL important with A64's, but I still get confused. I read it in one of the posts by that guy who used to be on the forum called "Angry_Games".

I wonder what happened to him?