Problems (occasionally) shutting down or restarting

Guest LithoTech_merged

Guest LithoTech

I don't reboot often, usually only when overclocking or changing settings, or installed an update or software. Very rarely due to instability, if ever.

But lately I've noticed, and not always, when I go to do some overclocking and try to reboot out of windows, it shuts down nice and quick to the blue screen and then just hangs there forever.

And I mean I've left it there for a long time.

I've tried manually killing just about everything running so I don't think it is an offending program.

I've also tried creating a shortcut for shutting down, same problem.

Any ideas what is causing this? Something in my bios maybe that I flipped and forgot about?

TVMIA!

Have you ran Memtest86/Prime95 to verify your system as being stable? If you play games at high resolution with AA/AF on without any problems and only get a blue screen when you shut down, might be an OS corruption. Do you have any other high wattage PSU to test, i mean 500w for that rig seems kind of weak, dont' you think?

Guest LithoTech
Have you ran Memtest86/Prime95 to verify your system as being stable? If you play games at high resolution with AA/AF on without any problems and only get a blue screen when you shut down, might be an OS corruption. Do you have any other high wattage PSU to test, i mean 500w for that rig seems kind of weak, dont' you think?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, sorry, I should have included a little more info on the state oif the system when coming out of win and rebooting.

The system is Prime95 24+ hours, memtest solid, settings in my sig are my 24/7 work/fold/game settings.

My recent overclocking sessions have forays trying to exceed my current ram limits, still playing and experimenting with a few things trying to get a stable 2.9ghz or a 2.7ghz with 1:1 on these Centon. No go on either, I revert to my current 2.7ghz in my sig.

So I'm running the Centon ram at the moment, I know my sig has two rams in it.

All games have been rock solid, not one of them has bombed yet under these settings. The video card in NOT currently overclocked, just forgot about it and tonights game isn't demanding (GT Legends). BF2 very rarely dumps to the desktop, but has always done that on any clock setting and even on my old computer so I blame the game.

I play the games at the same rez as the desktop, 1280x1024x32 75hz, it is a CRT.

Usually AA/AF off, the 6800GS doesn't have the horsepower and isn't totally necessary at that rez.

This seems to happen most of the time when the computer has been on for days, working hard folding 24/7, me working days and evenings, maybe some gaming at night, more folding, day in day out. Week goes by, reboot to overclock and pffft.

After a reboot, reboot again and no problem. Work it a bit, load it with P95 or F@H, reboot, no problem. Play some games, reboot, no problem. Then out of nowhere, reboot, NO GO.

The problem has been ongoing, on and off for quite some time. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, just that I finally got around to trying to resolve it and post about it.

I have been cleaning up my boot time, msconfig, startup, services, bootvis. Figured I best nail this down at the same time.

Defrag isn't bad, I use PerfectDisk, running it tonight and a complete chkdsk too. Doubt there are any problems, I do this regularly and there never are.

System is WinXP Home, SP2, patched up to like the other day.

500w weak for this rig? Not by my calcs, I should be able to run Sli if I want, maybe not dual 7900GTXs, but I'm really not using up a whole lot. I think last time I visited a PSU calc I was sitting at 400w, so guessing I peak at 450 tops.

It is a point though, I could look into MBMs logs and see if there is any voltage drops when in game. Or I could yank the PATA HD and 3x120 fans.

Could under power cause a shutdown problem like this? OS corruption again?

Any other info I can provide?