a few basic questions on ultra-d

Guest anewb ie

Your build will probably go smoothly. Most people get problem after they start overclocking (to find the most stable point).

To check the chipset temp, use softwares like speedfan or MBM5. I like speedfan better, but this is highly personnal. There is a tutorial to configure MBM5 for DFI boards in the tutorial section.

Guest anewb ie

Alas it won't work. I have one red light on not sure if that means the vga was not detected or the vga was detected but it couldn't go to the next step of booting.

Guest anewb ie

Yea. It boots. Running bios memtest now. Quick question (i always have one). How do i tell which version of the bios the system came with ?

btw those ilnks are great i'm surprise they aren't in teh tutorial section sticky stuck.

Hum: After running memtest86 1.55 (from bios) my cpu core temp is 41, pwm area is 39 and chip set is 47. Seems high to me. Doesn't it seem a bit high to you? (cpu fan is 128rpm, fan 2 is 2410 and chip set fan is 3750)

Guest anewb ie

btw those ilnks are great i'm surprise they aren't in teh tutorial section sticky stuck.

How do i tell which version of the bios the system came with?

On bootup screen, the one with the memory test and drive discovery, hit Pause and look in lower left corner for a date. Mine says something like 04-06-2006 because I flashed up from the stock 06-23-2005.

Guest anewb ie

Bleh I never see that screen it passes from logo to boot too quick. Is there a setting i can use to make it delay ?

Ok got it. Just disable the splash screen :)

11-14-2005 - hum is that a good stable bios? Does it have the various usb fixes or ?

Guest anewb ie

Hum amusing. I set the ht to 240 and the multipler to 11 and the cpu is running 2.6 but the temp stays at 37C (this was during install and download of drivers et all). Guess I should download prime95 run it and a temp monitor (speedfan?) and if the temp stays below 45 consider it safe and close things up ?

Depending on people, stability has different meaning. The must is an error less prime for 8h or more.

The chipset can go as high as 60C when overclock and overvolted. It happens regularly (especially if, like me, you limit its rotation speed to lower the noise) and it is safe. Not quite confortable though... Hence the reason lots ofpeople recommend changing the chipset fan to the evercool.

I would try both memtest and prime overnight before being happy with an overclock.

Guest anewb ie

Hum prime95 has run for 1 hour and the cpu temp is 49 and the nf4 is 49. How do i know that the primes being computed are correct ?

Guest anewb ie

Yea. Odd - I had one failure on test #6 but every other test I've run has passed - ran it in stress test mode for 7 hours without issues. Hum. I guess it is ok - though there might be a weak or bad memory cell somewhere. memtest 1.55 (bios) ran fine for a few hours - can't run memtest 3.2 no floppy. Hum - I wonder if I can make a 'boot disk' from a usb key chain. Now that would be cute if windows can boot off of a memory card.