Temperature v.s OC?

Hank33

Before I put an order to buy an Arctic Freezer Pro 64 with another $45 spent on the rig, I'd like to know whether the investment worths it.

As in my sig, I'm running 2.6G with 1.375v and everything seems fine (load 49C). I know that the CPU can get 2.8G @ 1.525v ( didn't try any higher because of the CPU temperature). The Smartguardian showed load 58C several times when I primed 2.8G in a 25 hour run, which was kinda scary. I think some ppl said that the improved cooling can enhance the OC not because that you can push Higher volts, but also make the CPU more stable. Please correct me if I am not making any sense. Anyway, I'd like to know that I'll have some higher OC like 2.85 or 2.9 with the cooler. Otherwise I don't see the necessity to spend another 25% of the money on a CPU to just get another merely 200mHz, especially when the ram have to run at a divider.

Thanks.

Hmm, I 'd like to get 2.8G, especially when an after market cooler can make the CPU more stable at higher voltage when it is OCed. I mean, whether the cooler can improve the ability to OC the cpu higher, not only in terms of the temperature, but also the stability?

Volts and temp kill procs. Even if your temps are low, high volts can kill your proc. Having said that, if you don't mind upping the volts, I'm sure you will reach 2.8ghz. Also, how much your cooler lowers temps better than the stock cooler has as much to do with your case and airflow than just being a better design. Tie up and cables and minimize any clutter in your case that blocks air flow.

I'm not sure what hsf your opty came with, but mine came with a pretty damn good modern hsf with copper heatpipes. I don't think a new cooler will get you to 2.8 ghz. But it may help you overclock a little more while keeping temps down a bit.

Volts and temp kill procs. Even if your temps are low, high volts can kill your proc. Having said that, if you don't mind upping the volts, I'm sure you will reach 2.8ghz. Also, how much your cooler lowers temps better than the stock cooler has as much to do with your case and airflow than just being a better design. Tie up and cables and minimize any clutter in your case that blocks air flow.

I'm not sure what hsf your opty came with, but mine came with a pretty damn good modern hsf with copper heatpipes. I don't think a new cooler will get you to 2.8 ghz. But it may help you overclock a little more while keeping temps down a bit.

My BT ran 10C+ less than the stock HSF and stabilized my 170 at 2.8 for 8 hours instead of 10 minutes I get with the amd HSF.

hey guy's,

About the voltage, i need to upper the voltage to give my cpu enough juice to be stable at prime95.

But what is the max voltage you can use? Now i have got my 3200+ stable with 9*290 with 1.60V @2610 mhz or at 260*10 1.60V @2600. If i want to get to 9*290 i have to rase my voltage.

Smart gardian don't work on linux, but my temps are 29/35 idle/load (own temp sensor).

The idle temp mached perfect with te bios temps.

So i raised my voltage to 0.0145*113%=1.64V and the temps are fine, but can my cpu survive it if i push it to this voltage an work with it?? My system is working good under it, but i want to wait till i've got an answer to this question before i'm going to stress it with prime95.

Greeetzz Gizzmo :D