Acronis True Image 9

red930

Just got the Retail and kind of confused about the whole drive cloning. I have done automatic and even manual but it seems like it's just copying everything from source to destination. I thought their might of been an image file or something and not the whole harddrive image(Documents and Settings, Program Files, Windows, plus system files, ect)! Now there is no way to take that whole image and put it on dvd+r since i don't want to carry the drive with the image on it all the time?

I know either with the Emergency CD-ROM you can image a drive or go into Windows as well. I thought when i do a hard drive image it would take the source (Clean Install of windows or whatever) and put the image in the destination (WHATEVER.image file) so i then can burn that image file and use it but doesn't look like this is possible. That's just to bad, but do you guys see where i'm getting at?

Another very important thing i wanted to mention is that this procedure with imaging the drive, doesn't even format the destination, but only deleted the partition. I mean what if you have viruses, trojans, blah blah blah, this is not even close as Image Cast at all. I'm actually very disappointed with this application. Anyone can verify anything that is important?

I can't answer all your questions, since I haven't had nor the opportunity nor the need to test all functions of Acronis True Image 9. What I have done is making an image of one harddrive to another. It was very handy indeed, since it was an upgrade of the harddrive with the operating system in a server and I wanted to keep the file systems intact for all users.

Formatting? I didn't have a problem with that. You can even make different partitions and resize them before writing an image to them. However, when you're talking about viruses etc. an image is an image; for bad and for good you get exactly what already have got on the original harddrive.

I do remember there was some function of making an image which could be used for restoring a failing harddrive or partition, but unfortunately I don't remember now. Maybe I take some time to play around with the trial version again (it actually is 100 % functional, which is very neat when you just need to do a couple of operations).

Yeah, but i remember with Image Cast (Another drive image utility/application) you can image a drive onto a CD-RW with a bootable features as well. So all you do is go from computer to computer boot from CD-ROM and bam it's all done withint 5-6minutes. Now wouldn't that be so much better and easier then say carring that image onto a drive and also booting from the emergency CD-ROM? I'll just have to play with it since the HELP file is so weak and not even close to what i would expect from this application. Thanks anyway....

It probably depends on what operation you have to do. To make an image of the harddrive/partition running an operating system wouldn't be possible anyway if its up running, so I can't see any other possibility than moving the harddrive and install it temporarily into another system (and depending on size of the image it takes more time to uninstall/install the harddrive than to execute the process), but maybe I’m wrong.

About going from computer to computer, I'm curious, because I don't understand when it would be necessary. Copying an operating system and programs to identical computers with the convenience of not having to install all drivers and programs over and over again maybe? I'm not sure. On the other hand I'm not working with networking.

Yeah, because True Image Home Edition is very simple to use and it has no way of doing what i want with it unless i go Workstation Edition. That's what it appears to be...i need to use a different version other then Home. Sounds about right, home is for people walking around with hd's in their hand with a happy smile on their face and Workstation is for people like me with a CD-R in my hand laughing.....LOL...