Early OC problem (noob)

T-rock

I'm overclocking for the first time, and I'm running into problems early on. Now, I haven't changed anything other than the FSB, but I've been reading everything I can find about overclocking and have a general idea. The thing is though, I can only get to 215 with my E6 sempron before I see random restarts and crashing...and at 214 everything appears okay but I fail OCCT within 4 minutes because of CPU errors. I know there are alot of things I have to change, but I thought I could hit higher than that by just upping the FSB. Please comment and give opinions. Thanks.

Well, read the OC guide first, and follow the steps. Its stickied on this forum.

Manually set your memory timings, your CPU voltage and multiplier. Then try up your FSB. You might want to run a memory divider as well, so you can be sure your memory is not causing the problem.

Hi, thanks for the response. I wasn't really asking what to do, I was just wondering if thats normal to hit that ceiling so early. I've read many posts, especially about E6 Semprons, and they seem to go strong right from the beginning.

Make sure you lower your LDT multi from 5x (usual default) to 4x if you plan to stay < or = to 250 htt/fsb or 3x if you plan to go higher. :nod: This was the first mistake I made and could not find a stable OC over 224... The LDT bus is rated at 1000 Mhz and is gotten from the LDT multi times the htt/fsb, i.e. 200 x 5 = 1000, 215 x 5 = 1075 = instabilities... The 214 may be at the ceiling of what your LDT is capable of (even though it is over 1000), 215 may be too much.