New Build.....in the future

Guest Neezer_merged

Guest Neezer

Hi,

I am relatively new to the site. I am going to graduate from college shortly, and with a job and money in sight....6 months or so, I am looking into making a beast of a computer that I can overclock. I have never built my own computer before, but i have made repairs,(new mobo, add graphics card, add RAM) to mine. I am wondering if DFI is coming out with anything that will drastically change all of the stuff I am learning about now. Also, I have heard that DDR2 might be coming in the near future to AMD processors. Is this something that I will have available to me in the 6-8 month timeframe?

Thanks

Yes, AMD is coming out with a new socket platform called "AM2" which will use DDR2 instead of the DDR that we're all still using with the current sockets. Just wait and be patient because you might even need to get the new INTEL since they are smoking AMD so far with Gaming/Applications everything. The Conroe which is the new Dual Core coming out from Intel soon which is going to destroy anything in sight unless AMD comes up with something better in their AM2 since it's just for power consumption and newer intergrated DDR2. Stick with DFI motherboards though since they have the best components to overclock and stabilities. Take care.....

Guest Neezer

So I should look into getting an intel with a DFI mobo???? I was under the impression that they didn't have the right socket?? or is that just wrong?

Yes, AMD is coming out with a new socket platform called "AM2" which will use DDR2 instead of the DDR that we're all still using with the current sockets. Just wait and be patient because you might even need to get the new INTEL since they are smoking AMD so far with Gaming/Applications everything. The Conroe which is the new Dual Core coming out from Intel soon which is going to destroy anything in sight unless AMD comes up with something better in their AM2 since it's just for power consumption and newer intergrated DDR2. Stick with DFI motherboards though since they have the best components to overclock and stabilities. Take care.....

dont get am2 yet.. it will have kinks to work out.

newegg has only 1 board for intel as compared to like 20 or so for amd...

go with amd. indeed conroe appears to smoke the butt outta amd but i would still pick amd over intel.. but its your option. ddrII isnt worth it at least till ddr800+ becomes a standard.. imo

but yeah if you like performance and amd doesnt come out with anything then even i would consider conroe.. but for NOW heres a nice system

Opteron 170

DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert

Gskill 2x1gb PC4000

7900GT or GTX

Powerstream 520 (psu)

you can add your own components, but heres my recommended setup.

Guest Neezer

What is the difference between an Opteron and an FX2 chip or the X2?? Which is best for OC. I will be doing CFD (computational fluid dynamics), with this rig. Basically CFD is 3D modelling of fluid flows around shapes. Would SLI be a great thing to have for this???

What is the difference between an Opteron and an FX2 chip or the X2?? Which is best for OC. I will be doing CFD (computational fluid dynamics), with this rig. Basically CFD is 3D modelling of fluid flows around shapes. Would SLI be a great thing to have for this???

Opteron-supposedly built on better silicon.. allows for better ocing

FX-complete waste of money, only if you want unlocked multipliers.

X2-if you dont wanna oc, then this is your best bet. otherwise the relatively high price in comparison to opteron performance should steer you away from them. the only models imo worth considering at the x2 4400.

the winner is clearly the opteron.

dont know.. but in my head yes sli will help.