Opteron 170 or X2 4400+?

kelleybp

I really don't know anything about these dual core processors, as far as advantages/disadvantages between each series, but I'm looking to upgrade pretty soon. I've narrowed it down to the Opteron 170 or the X2 4400+. I'm into some minor overclocking, gaming (BF2, BFME2, Oblivion), CD/DVD encoding, multitasking, etc. Any advice is appreciated!

The Opteron 170 is a 2GHz with 1MEG on each core which would be the same amount of L2 cache on the X2 4400+. Though the 4400+ is a 2.2GHz wouldn't be hard at all to get that 170 to 2.2 or even further. You'll even save some money since you'll notice the Opteron 170 is slightly cheaper than the X2 4400+. See i got myself an Opteron 165 1.8GHz 1MEG each core and overclocked it to 2.6GHz which is the FX-60 pretty much, hehe. You can say i saved myself $650 yes. So if you want to go that route try it. I hope this helps...good luck!

opties appear to get better ocs than x2's

ive seen opty 165s get to 2.8, nearly 3ghz... compare that to most ppl who get an average of 2.5-2.7 with an x2 3800...

thats what ive seen, so im going to recommend the opty. plus like he sed its 50 bucks cheaper :D

save urself the cash and oc the hell outta the opty 170.