Bad Dimm SLOT?

I installed my MB today and everything went fine but when I went to post I got the dread beep of death. Basically the post was failing on memory. The memory was installed in DIMM1 and DIMM2 (1 yellow and 1 orange). And it was failing. I moved the DIMM from DIMM1 to DIMM3 and the system posted all the ram. Am I missing something or does a specific dimm need to be in DIMM1?

Thanks...

You do need to read the manual and the various posts on this site to set up the memory correctly. As you have 2 dimms either use slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. Try both ways to see which one works best for your dimms.

I hope you like tinkering with PCs cos' your gonna get a lot of that with this board!!!!!

Well for some odd reason it's working on slots 2 and 3. I will try with slots 1 and 3 and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice. But it seems like you can not run a single dimm as I tried before but I have to run in pairs.

According to the Manual if you are running DDR400 (which I am). You can run indvidual sticks of memory in slots 1 or 3 single or dual channel, or slots 1 and 3 as either single or dual

If you are going to use all 4 banks you can only be used as single channel. But so far I can only get the memory to works in banks 2-3 I haven't tried 4 yet.

1 - 2 did not work. I did not try 1 - 3

And I did try just bank 1. Am I missing something here?

The memory model is KVR400/512R.

Thanks,

Guest Dynamic

The board is not an issue, it's probably your VALUE RAM from Kingston that you've purchased. Do not go cheap with RAM on DFI boards, first rule of thumb. Besides stop playing around with memory slots and put either a pair of memory sticks in the orange slots or yellow slots for dual channel, okay? Why don't you start reading some of the STICKY'S here in our forum for people that are posting their first time, take care....

Dynamic,

I have tried 3 different sets of ram and all of had the same problem so I doubt the ram is an issue. However to add more to the story which I think is leading to a board problem is. I get the OS installed No problem but when I start to "stress" the system, such as copying large files, add USB connections the system locks or I get a CRC error when copying files.

Well I ordered new memory today

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

NewEgg had a deal so..

I see that alot of people have had good success with it so I will give it a shot.

Yeah - I'm having the same issue here.

The motherboard simply won't start (stops at 2 lights on the diags panel) with the memory in slots 1 and 3. It will ONLY start with memory in slots 2 and 4.

Now - you can accuse the other guys of bad memory - but I've got OCZ Plantinum Edition memory. Plus, I've tried 3 other brands, and no success. I know slots 1 and 3 work fine - because if I put in 4 ram modules, it should 3 or 4GB's in Windows.

So do I have a faulty motherboard ?

although I think my board may hav been faulty, afterreading more posts.. i think I actually have a good one:P

I am using slots 1 and 3, 2 and 4 also work.

many different brands and speeds have been through it in 1 and 3.. you have an issue.

there should NEVER be a reason to have to use 2 and 4 over 1 and 3 for any board or brand.

blaming ram is the worst excuse I heard yet, kingston value ram is NOT crap ram, its just badly named, don't accuse products just because of there name... thats weak.

if you wanted to blame anything other than the motherboard the only one worth pointing at is the PSU, but that is not the kind of issue caused from PSU's either.. so quick.. blame it aswell!.

and "Do not go cheap with RAM on DFI boards"

so KVR is crap, and will be fine in all brands other than DFI.. thats what it reads, and thats a complete lie.

WTF man, you come up with that crap and then continue to abuse someone who was trying to find out if something was wrong..

ur pro.. hahahaha... see, I can lie too, but I don't when I'm trying to help people... get a clue.

Well here is an update. A week running with the corsair memory that I bought and 0 problems. So it looks like the memory was the problem. Also verified ports 1 and 3 do work. However the undocumented recommendation is that 2 and 4 should be populated first before populating banks 1 and 3 with like ram.

As for the KVR that I have I think I know why that was causing the problem. The kingston KVR400/512R can "emulate" 3 different memory module type: PC3200, 2700 and 2100. I think this is what was causing the problem as the motherboard was enableing the first setting that it could fine and run with it. However what I found to be a problem is that if I try to set the static settings in the GENIE bios for the PC3200 the machine would lock and I would get a memory error. I contracted Kingston about this and there was no response as all the settings on the memory are soft settings and is not documented. Now their maybe other Valueram modules that do work but this particular Kingston does not because of the multiple modes that it has to make it more compatible with other mother board manufactures.

Also please use a little restraint when flaming other members we are all here to help each other. And I hope I shed some light on the problme.

Coreying to use slots 1 and 3 all 4 slots most be populated with like ram and you should be ok.