Hard drive help

hi i just bought a wd sata hard drive 16se 250 gb. my question is how to install it properly with a ide hard drive. i want my sata to boot up the system for all my games and such. And if i get a capacity that is less than 250gb how do i fix that?

nf4 lanparty ultra-d

athlon 3800+ newcastle

radeon x1800xt 512mb

ocz 600w

soundblaster zs audigy

hpdvd 600i dual layer

1 gb 3200 ram 2225

hi i just bought a wd sata hard drive 16se 250 gb. my question is how to install it properly with a ide hard drive. i want my sata to boot up the system for all my games and such.

Make sure that the SATA drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

And if i get a capacity that is less than 250gb how do i fix that?

As long as you're on SP2 then you will be able to see the entire disk.

Guest Dynamic

It's very simple just hook up the power and IDE/SATA cables to each drive to the motherboard. Go into the bios and see if both drives detect. Make sure you disable the SATA RAID options if available because you don't need that. Also disable what you don't need like ON-BOARD AUDIO since you have a SB card and such that are not needed. Then once you set your Boot Sequence with SATA on the second and CD-ROM/DVD-RW on the first boot you should format your 250GB by entering the WINDOWS CD-ROM. You won't have your full 250GB because of the allocation files and such that usually uses a bit of space.

Note:Make sure if you are going to install Windows on your SATA drive that you have a working Floppy Drive in the works, because you'll need the SATA drivers to be installed when Windows asks you at the begin of the installation if you would like to install drivers for your hard drive if it's not IDE please press F6. Okay.....

ok cool thanx i got it installed and disabled sata raid, but there is no option in my bios to set the sata to boot up for boot sequence only hard disk so it brings up the option of loading 2 different xp professionals so how do i fix that and not it says my drive capacity is 232gb not 250 does those allocation files take up that much?

ok cool thanx i got it installed and disabled sata raid, but there is no option in my bios to set the sata to boot up for boot sequence only hard disk so it brings up the option of loading 2 different xp professionals so how do i fix that and not it says my drive capacity is 232gb not 250 does those allocation files take up that much?

yeah my 200gb reads as 189 so yes they are that big, and what you could do is delete one of the boot paths in boot.ini or go to msconfig then boot.ini tab and choose the correct one and click set as default and the timeout to 3 seconds